What is the direction of the resultant displacement from the starting point?

• Thread starter delfam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of a resultant displacement from a starting point, given three displacement vectors. The magnitude is found to be 605.98 paces, and the direction is determined by taking the arctan of the y-component over the x-component, and then converting the angle to be measured from due East. The final direction is found to be -82.2 degrees, measured counterclockwise from due East, between the limits of -180 to +180 degrees.
delfam
Vector Help, Finding Angle

Homework Statement

Instructions for finding a buried treasure include the following: Go 114.6 paces at 285◦,
turn to 247◦ and walk 112 paces, then travel 399 paces at 284◦. Find the magnitude of the resultant displacement from the starting point.
Answer in units of paces.

What is the direction of the resultant displacement? Use counterclockwise from due East as
the positive angular direction, between the limits of −180◦ and +180◦.
Answer in units of ◦.

Homework Equations

arctan(Cy/Cx) = theta c

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the first part of the problem and got 605.98 paces which I know is correct. So to find the angle in part b i use arctan(Cy/Cx).

arctan(-600.37/82.28) = -82.2, then absolute value it
360 - 82.2 = 277.8 degrees.

Im not sure what I'm doing wrong, I know Cy(-600.37) and Cx(82.28) are right as I got part 1 right. I am having trouble with the wording of part b cause I can't get the right angle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

delfam said:

Homework Statement

Instructions for finding a buried treasure include the following: Go 114.6 paces at 285◦,
turn to 247◦ and walk 112 paces, then travel 399 paces at 284◦. Find the magnitude of the resultant displacement from the starting point.
Answer in units of paces.

What is the direction of the resultant displacement? Use counterclockwise from due East as
Answer in units of ◦.

Homework Equations

arctan(Cy/Cx) = theta c

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the first part of the problem and got 605.98 paces which I know is correct. So to find the angle in part b i use arctan(Cy/Cx).

arctan(-600.37/82.28) = -82.2, then absolute value it

Im not sure what I'm doing wrong, I know Cy(-600.37) and Cx(82.28) are right as I got part 1 right. I am having trouble with the wording of part b cause I can't get the right angle.

Could you please list the delta-x and delta-y components of each of the three displacement vectors that you are given? It would help us to check your work if we had each of the 3 displacement vectors in rectangular notation, so we can check the sum.

Ax = 114.6cos(285) = 29.51
Bx = 112cos(247) = -43.76
Cx = 399cos(284) = 96.53
Dx = 29.51 = (-43.76) + 96.53 = 82.28

Ay = 114sin(285) = -110.12
By = 112sin(247) = -103.10
Cy = 399sin(284) = -387.15
Dy = -110.12 + (-103.10) + (-387.15) = -600.37

(82.28)^2 + (-600.37)^2 = 367214.14, square root of 367214.14 = 605.98
so the displacement is 605.98, but now I need the angle so

arctan(-600.37/82.28) = -82.2 then take absolute value of that and

But 277.8 isn't right cause I got it wrong, but I'm not sure where I went wrong cause I know I got the displacement right, the wording of part 2 is really weird so that's maybe were I messed up.

Last edited:
Re-read the original question. You misread one of the numbers.

what, the 114.6, that was just a typo, I still don't understand the second part. "What is the direction of the resultant displacement? Use counterclockwise from due East as
Answer in units of ◦."

I just don't get the wording

delfam said:
what, the 114.6, that was just a typo, I still don't understand the second part. "What is the direction of the resultant displacement? Use counterclockwise from due East as
Answer in units of ◦."

I just don't get the wording

You found:

arctan(-600.37/82.28) = -82.2

That -82.2 degrees is the angle down from the positive x-axis to the final vector. And the problem wants you to express the answer as measured from "East" (the positive x axis) to the vector, bounded by +/-180 degrees. Since the vector resultant is in the lower right quadrant, and you measure down to it from the x axis, what is the answer for the final direction?

berkeman said:
You found:

That -82.2 degrees is the angle down from the positive x-axis to the final vector. And the problem wants you to express the answer as measured from "East" (the positive x axis) to the vector, bounded by +/-180 degrees. Since the vector resultant is in the lower right quadrant, and you measure down to it from the x axis, what is the answer for the final direction?

-82.2, thanks for the help.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. How do I find the angle of a vector?

To find the angle of a vector, you can use the formula: angle = arctan(y/x), where y is the vertical component of the vector and x is the horizontal component. Alternatively, you can use the dot product of two vectors to find the angle between them.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Some examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include velocity, force, and displacement.

4. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the parallelogram method or the head-to-tail method. In the parallelogram method, you draw the two vectors as adjacent sides of a parallelogram and the resulting vector is the diagonal of the parallelogram. In the head-to-tail method, you draw the vectors end-to-end and the resulting vector is the straight line connecting the starting point of the first vector to the end point of the last vector.

5. Can vectors be multiplied?

Yes, vectors can be multiplied in several ways. The dot product and cross product are two common types of vector multiplication. The dot product results in a scalar, while the cross product results in a vector. Vectors can also be multiplied by a scalar, which results in a vector with a different magnitude but the same direction.