Solving p and q in a Vector Equation

• Thread starter Xaif
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining the constants p and q in an equation involving vectors. The proper method to solve this problem is to set the components on one side equal to the components on the other side, resulting in two linear equations. By solving these equations, the values of p and q can be found. The conversation also mentions that if the components of two vectors are equal, then the vectors themselves are equal.
Xaif
Hello, I have a quick question that I think seems stupid but I can't find an answer for it. It's about vectors in a mechanics module. Anyhow, this is the question:

Determine p and q:

p(4i + 3j) + q(12i + 5j) = 68i + 33j, where p and q are contants.

I can only think to do this by trial and error to get p = 3.5 and q = 4.5. Is there a proper method to work out something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes there is.

If the components (i and j in this case) of two vectors are equal, then the two vectors are equal. So, in your equation, you need the components on one side to be equal to the components on the other side. This should give you two linear equations, which I am going to assume you can solve.

[tex]p(4\mathbf{i} + 3\mathbf{j}) + q(12\mathbf{i} + 5\mathbf{j}) = 68\mathbf{i} + 33\mathbf{j}[/tex]

[tex](4p + 12q)\mathbf{i} + (3p + 5q)\mathbf{j} = 68\mathbf{i} + 33\mathbf{j}[/tex]

[tex]4p + 12q = 68\ \mbox{ and }\ 3p + 5q = 33[/tex]

[tex]\left (\begin{array}{cc}4 & 12\\ 3 & 5\end{array}\right )\left (\begin{array}{c}p\\ q\end{array}\right ) = \left (\begin{array}{c}68\\ 33\end{array}\right )[/tex]

[tex]\left (\begin{array}{c}p\\ q\end{array}\right ) = \left (\begin{array}{cc}4 & 12\\ 3 & 5\end{array}\right )^{-1}\left (\begin{array}{c}68\\ 33\end{array}\right )[/tex]

Ah, thankyou. It was quite simple really :blushing:

What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is a mathematical expression that involves vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is typically written in the form of p + q = r, where p and q are vectors and r is the resulting vector obtained by adding or subtracting p and q.

Why do we need to solve for p and q in a vector equation?

Solving for p and q allows us to determine the specific values of each vector involved in the equation. This can help us understand the relationship between the vectors and their resulting vector, and can also be useful in solving real-world problems involving vectors.

How do we solve for p and q in a vector equation?

To solve for p and q, we can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, geometric methods, or vector operations (e.g. dot product, cross product). The specific method used will depend on the given equation and the desired outcome.

What are some common mistakes when solving for p and q in a vector equation?

One common mistake is incorrectly identifying the direction or magnitude of the vectors involved. Another mistake is not considering the order in which the vectors are added or subtracted, which can result in a different resulting vector. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and use the correct vector operations to avoid these mistakes.

Can we have more than two vectors in a vector equation?

Yes, we can have any number of vectors in a vector equation. However, the larger the number of vectors, the more complex the equation may become and the more challenging it may be to solve for the individual vectors. It is important to carefully analyze the given equation and use appropriate techniques to solve for all the vectors involved.