Solving for Vectors a, b, and c - Help Appreciated

• Thread starter Giuseppe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation is about finding nonzero vectors a, b, and c such that a x b = a x c but b does not equal c. The cartesian unit vectors can satisfy this condition as their cross product is zero for perpendicular vectors. However, this is incorrect as the dot product, not the cross product, is zero for perpendicular vectors. The correct solution is to find a vector c that is parallel to a by setting c=b+ka, where k is a nonzero scalar.
Giuseppe
Hello, can anyone guide me with this problem?

Find nonzero vectors a ,b , and c such that a x b = a x c but b does not equal c

I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The cross product is zero for perpendicular vectors so the cartesian unit vectors would satisfy that as i x j = i x k =0.

inha said:
The cross product is zero for perpendicular vectors so the cartesian unit vectors would satisfy that as i x j = i x k =0.

That's all wrong. The dot product is zero for perpendicular vectors.
The cross product is i x j = k.

Antiphon said:
That's all wrong. The dot product is zero for perpendicular vectors.
The cross product is i x j = k.
Yeah, the cross product is zero for parallel vectors. So (1,1,1) x (2,2,2)= (1,1,1) x (3,3,3) = (0,0,0) is a solution.

Oh hell. I got my products mixed. Scratch that advice and sorry if I caused any problems.

We just need that c=b+ka so that c-b is parallel to a
(a,b,b+ka) satisfies the prop(k is a scalar not equal to zero)

1. What are vectors a, b, and c?

Vectors a, b, and c are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. How do I solve for vectors a, b, and c?

To solve for vectors a, b, and c, you will need to use vector algebra and trigonometry. This involves finding the components of the vectors, using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude, and using trigonometric functions to find the direction.

3. What is the importance of solving for vectors a, b, and c?

Solving for vectors a, b, and c is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and navigation. Vectors are used to represent physical quantities and their direction, making them essential for solving many problems in these fields.

4. Can you provide an example of solving for vectors a, b, and c?

Sure! Let's say we have a vector a with a magnitude of 5 and a direction of 30 degrees from the horizontal. We can use trigonometry to find its x and y components, which would be ax = 5cos30° = 4.33 and ay = 5sin30° = 2.5. Then, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the vector, which would be sqrt(4.33^2 + 2.5^2) = 5.

5. What are some common applications of solving for vectors a, b, and c?

Solving for vectors a, b, and c is commonly used in real-world applications such as navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, calculating the forces acting on an object or finding the direction and speed of a moving object would require solving for vectors a, b, and c.