How Fast Does a Hawk's Shadow Move When Diving?

In summary: That's how you got your equation, right?There's no reason to take the inverse tangent. You're given the angle, the speed of the hawk, and you're trying to find the speed of the shadow. You should use trigonometric functions that involve the hypotenuse.So the trigonometric equation for your diagram is:sin(74.1) = opp/hyp = X / 6.04m/sSolving for X, we get X = 6.28 m/s.In summary, the hawk's shadow moves along the ground at a speed of 6.28 m/s when the hawk is diving toward the ground at a speed of 6.04 m/s with a
garcia1

Homework Statement

When the Sun is directly overhead, a hawk
dives toward the ground at a speed of
6.04 m/s.
If the direction of his motion is at an angle
of 74.1 below the horizontal, calculate the
speed of his shadow along the ground.
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

My equation I used was

X(hypotenuse) = 6.04m/s / sin(74.1)

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer was 6.28 m/s, by trying to solve this problem via treating the answer as a hypotenuse between the known downward speed and the horizontal

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi garcia1, welcome to Physics Forums.

It seems that the hawk's speed is along the trajectory of his 74.1 degree incline. With the Sun directly overhead, its shadow should be following along directly below him on the ground. Perhaps you should draw a diagram of the situation (in profile) to see what's happening.

I took your advice and drew this diagram, realizing that the steep angle of the hawk's trajectory would make its downward speed the vertical and the speed of it's shadow along the ground as the horizontal. I came up with an answer of 1.72 m/s, using the following equation:

tan(74.1) = opp/adj = 6.04m/s / X

By solving for X, I got this answer of 1.72 m/s. This seems reasonable, since the horizontal is the smallest side of the right triangle I can make from these variables, but my answer still appears wrong on my homework. Any further thoughts?

The hawk's speed is along the trajectory, not vertical. If you draw the triangle, its speed is along the hypotenuse.

direction.

I would like to provide a more thorough explanation for the solution to this problem. To calculate the speed of the hawk's shadow, we need to use vector components. The hawk's motion can be broken down into two components: the horizontal component and the vertical component. The horizontal component is equal to the speed of the hawk, which is 6.04 m/s. The vertical component is equal to the speed of the hawk multiplied by the sine of the angle, which is 6.04 m/s * sin(74.1) = 5.80 m/s.

The speed of the shadow is determined by the horizontal component, as the shadow will move parallel to the ground. Therefore, the speed of the shadow is also 6.04 m/s. This is because the horizontal component of the hawk's motion is the same as the horizontal component of the shadow's motion.

In summary, the speed of the hawk's shadow along the ground is also 6.04 m/s, which is equal to the horizontal component of the hawk's motion. It is important to consider both the horizontal and vertical components of motion when solving vector problems.

1. What are vector homework questions?

Vector homework questions are problems or exercises related to the mathematical concept of vectors. Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, and are commonly used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, force, and velocity.

2. How do I solve vector homework questions?

To solve vector homework questions, you will need to have a basic understanding of vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. You will also need to know how to represent vectors graphically and algebraically. It is important to carefully read and understand the question, and then apply the appropriate vector operations to find the solution.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector homework questions?

One common mistake when solving vector homework questions is forgetting to take into account the direction of the vectors. It is also important to use the correct mathematical operations for vector addition and subtraction, as well as being careful with units and conversion factors. Another mistake to avoid is using the wrong formula for vector multiplication, as there are different types of vector multiplication depending on the desired outcome.

4. Are there any tips for solving vector homework questions?

Some tips for solving vector homework questions include drawing accurate vector diagrams, using the correct mathematical operations, and checking your answer for reasonableness. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts, and to practice solving different types of vector problems to improve your understanding and skills.

5. Where can I find additional resources for help with vector homework questions?

There are many online resources available for help with vector homework questions, including tutorial videos, practice problems, and interactive quizzes. You can also consult your textbook, class notes, or ask your teacher or classmates for assistance. It is important to seek help when needed and to practice regularly in order to improve your understanding and proficiency with vectors.