1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector in cylindrical polar coordinates

1. Apr 20, 2004 #1
    The problem is:

Write the vector V=i+j+k=(1,1,1) at the point (x,y,z)=(1,1,1) in cylindrical polar coordinates. What is the gradient of the function phi=x(x^2+y^2)z at this point?

Answer:

I don't know how to write the vector in cylindrical polar coordinates. I know that the coordinates are (r(perpendicular), theta, z). Can someone show me how to do this in cylindrical polar coordinates with an example?

Is the gradient of the funcition 4i+2j+2k at (1,1,1)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2004 #2

turin

Homework Helper

The vector components in cylindrical polar coordinates depend on position. The position can be expressed in cylindrical polar coordinates as:

(ρ,θ,z)

where ρ is the perpendicular distance from the Cartesian z-axis, θ is the angle about the Cartesian z-axis that a line connecting the point to the Cartesian z-axis would make from the Cartesian x-axis, and z is the Cartesian z-coordinate. The Cartesian components of a vector transform into the cylindrical polar coordinates of a vector as:

vρ = (√(ux2+uy2))cos(θ-arctan(uy/ux))
    vθ = -(√(ux2+uy2))sin(θ-arctan(uy/ux))
    vz = uz

where

v = uxex+uyey+uzez = vρeρ+vθeθ+vzez

That's what I got.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?