How do I integrate ax on the plane y=7?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the limits of integration for a double integral with a constant unit vector ax in the x direction on a plane with a constant y value of 7. The person is unsure how to integrate ax and is seeking hints on how to find the limits of integration.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

doubleintegral.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I get parts a and b, but I don't know what to do for part c.
I can write a double integral with dx and dz (because y is constant) and substitute y=7 in, but I'm not sure how to integrate ax...

Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, is ax constant over the integration region? If so, you can pull it out of the integral, just as with a numeric constant.

If it's not constant, you'd need to find a way to express it in terms of things (i.e. other unit vectors) that are constant.

Well I guess ax is a unit vector in the x direction, so it must be constant.

But how do I figure out the limits of integration for x and z?

Well, what's the region of integration?

I don't know, it just says plane y=7.

1. What is a vector integral?

A vector integral is an integral that involves vector-valued functions. Unlike regular integrals, which only have a scalar output, vector integrals can have a vector output.

2. How is a vector integral different from a regular integral?

Unlike regular integrals, which only have a scalar output, vector integrals can have a vector output. This means that instead of a single numerical value, a vector integral can give us a direction and magnitude for the result.

3. What are some common applications of vector integrals?

Vector integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as work, force, and fluid flow. They are also used in multivariable calculus to find the area, volume, and arc length of complex shapes.

4. How do you solve a vector integral?

To solve a vector integral, we first need to determine the limits of integration and the vector-valued function. Then, we can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fraction decomposition to evaluate the integral.

5. What are some common mistakes when working with vector integrals?

Some common mistakes when working with vector integrals include forgetting to account for the direction of the vector, using incorrect limits of integration, and not using the correct integration technique for the given problem. It is important to carefully consider the vector properties and use appropriate methods to avoid these mistakes.