Help Needed: Solving a Complex Math Integral in Spherical Coordinates

In summary: In my papers the R1/R2 is written like r1/r2 is but in bold so i suspect its vector which would make sense and this is in spherical coordinates. So r1/r2 is then i guess the radius component of R1/R2. How do integrate this? i wish to see it step by step and I am glad for any help i can get.In summary, Daniel is new to this forum but not new to science and math at all. He has a mathematical problem involving an integral. He has been working with QM for a while and is having difficulty with this specific integral. The integral that is included in the word file is
Zelos
Im new to this forum but not new to science and math at all. But i have a mathematical problems. I've been working with QM for a while and I am having problem with this specefic integral.
This integral that is included in the word file is the integral I am having problems with. In my papers the R1/R2 is written like r1/r2 is but in bold so i suspect its vector which would make sense and this is in spherical coordinates. So r1/r2 is then i guess the radius component of R1/R2. How do integrate this? i wish to see it step by step and I am glad for any help i can get.

PS i hope this is the right forum

Attachments

• QM Eng.doc
    15 KB · Views: 257
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that a [itex]\vec{Z}[/itex] in the exponent? What does that mean?

its a constant, in this case the effective nuclear charge the electron feel since the electrons are mutaly screening each other partly from the nucleus

Is that supposed to be a volume integral? If so, you can start by taking R1 as fixed, and integrating over R2 in spherical coordinates, taking theta=0 along R1.

yes, but how do i deal with it when it comes to the 1/|R1-R2| part?

ive manished to get this (from some searching on the net) how do i deal with integrals in integrals that contain the outer integrals variable in the integral limits?

Attachments

• QM Eng.doc
    16.5 KB · Views: 252
Just evaluate it normally. The "outer integrals variable in the integral limits" will then be part of the function to be integrated in the second integral.

so i just take like normal integration? End - begining? in this case take the integration infinite - integration 0 and put this 2 values as integration limits in the inner integral as it says in the formula?

i get a infinite integral then which aint realistic

What do you get as an "infinite integral"? They look like they converge to me (assuming that [itex]\vec{Z}[/itex] is positive). What did you get for the inner integrals, the ones over [tex]r_1[/tex]?

if we concentrate on the 2 integrals that is inside another one its the right one with r1 that i get to be infinite since it goes to infinite and is just r1 since the e^stuff is changed by r2. but i suspect there might be a print error

What coordinate system are you using ? Since it looks as a bicentrical problem, i advise you to use elliptic coordinates.

Daniel.

im using spherical

What is a complex math integral?

A complex math integral is a mathematical expression that represents the area under a curve on a complex plane. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve many real-world problems.

What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate a point in three-dimensional space. They are based on a sphere and use the distance from the origin, the polar angle, and the azimuthal angle to specify the position of a point.

Why is solving a complex math integral in spherical coordinates difficult?

Solving a complex math integral in spherical coordinates can be difficult because it involves manipulating multiple variables and using advanced mathematical techniques such as integration and trigonometry. Additionally, the complexity of the problem can increase when dealing with multiple dimensions.

What are some tips for solving a complex math integral in spherical coordinates?

Some tips for solving a complex math integral in spherical coordinates include breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable steps, using appropriate substitution and integration techniques, and carefully considering the limits of integration. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of spherical coordinates and their properties.

How can I check my solution for a complex math integral in spherical coordinates?

You can check your solution for a complex math integral in spherical coordinates by using a calculator or computer software that can perform integrations. You can also compare your solution to known results or use mathematical identities to verify the correctness of your answer.