1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector integrals

1. Feb 3, 2006 #1
    First question: Im trying to show the fundamental thm for gradients here with this function: T = x^2 + 4xy + 2yz^3 . a = (0,0,0) , b = (1,1,1) . For one path it works out as expected to 7. However when i use the path (0,0,0)->(0,0,1)->(0,1,1)->(1,1,1) , I end up with a value of 1 (0 for first step, 0 for second step and 1 for third step). There's also a path I have to check where z=x^2, y=x^2, dont know how to do this; Do i let dz = dxdx ? How do I deal with this?

I havent covered these in calculus yet, just in my E-M text. Would like to know so I can complete my assignment, Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your second and third steps (Hint: for example, don't put x=0 for the third step. Can you see why that is wrong?).

In fact, why don't you post your work? It will be easier to help that way.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  4. Feb 3, 2006 #3
    Well first step isnt it integral from 0 to 1 of 6yz^2 dz , but since y= constant zero, the integral equals zero. Similar for second step (because x=0). Third step isnt it integral from 0 to 1 of 2x dx which is one?

5. Feb 3, 2006 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The fundamental theorem is
    [tex] \int_C \nabla f.d\vec{r} = f(b) - f(a) [/tex]
    For the given f, did you calculate the gradient? Then what will dr be in each step?

Your first step is right, but what will [tex] \nabla f.d\vec{r} [/tex] for the second step?

6. Feb 3, 2006 #5
    well for the second step doesnt dx and dz = 0 and you only have to deal with df/dy * dy which is....o ok my bad forgot about the third term with the z :)

7. Feb 3, 2006 #6
    So as my second question, how do i deal with the z = x^2 ? ; what do i put in for dz?

Here's what i got so far.

Dell(x,y,z) = (2x+4y,4x+2z^3,6yz^2)

when you dot it with (dx,dy,dz) and substitute all y for x all z for x^2 i get 6xdx + (4x+2x^6)dx + (6x^5)dx^2 . The last term confuses me.

8. Feb 8, 2006 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hope you don't mind the late reply.

You have,
    [tex] z=x^2 , y=x^2[/tex]

If you use 't' as your parameter, you will get

[tex] x=t, y=t^2, z=t^2 [/tex],

Now, you can write the position vector of a point P(x,y,z) on the curve as a function of t. This will let you calculate 'dr' in terms of 't' and 'dt'. Now, if you write the Gradient (2x+4y,4x+2z^3,6yz^2) in terms of 't' you will easily be able to get your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?