1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Kinematics

1. Jan 24, 2007 #1
    A particle starts from the origin at t=0 with an initial velocity of 5 m/s along the positive x axis. If the acceleration is -3i + 4.5j m/s^2 determine the velocity and position of the particle at the moment it reaches its maximum x coordinate.

Possible equations:
    x= xo + vxo t + .5ax t^2

I guess I'm just confused on how to start. I do not think I plug numbers into an equation yet. Do I need to work with the numbers I have before using an equation?
    Thanks for any help
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2007 #2
    You have a couple options. Find the angle that the acceleration vector is at, and use a coordinate transformation so that the acceleration travels in the e_x direction (this way is sort of roundabout and I wouldn't really suggest it, but thought I would throw it out to get you thinking). Or find the separate components and add them together.

Do you know calculus?
  4. Jan 24, 2007 #3
    Am I just adding the components of the acceleration and the velocity? Would that give me my endpoint?
  5. Jan 24, 2007 #4
    So I would focus on the e_x components first. Find what the maximum position will be in the e_x direction; determine how far the particle can go in the x direction with that initial push before it turns around. Then you can figure out what the e_y components are from the information in the e_x components.
  6. Jan 25, 2007 #5
    I have figured it out.

Thanks for all your help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?