1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Kinematics

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    A skier is accelerating down a 30.0 degree hill at 1.80 m/s2.

What is the vertical component of her acceleration?

How long will it take her to reach the bottom of the hill, assuming she starts from rest and accelerates uniformly, if the elevation change is 375 m
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    What effort have you made to solve this problem?
  4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    I dont even understand how it should be approached
  5. Sep 21, 2008 #4
    Draw a picture of what's going on. X and y axes and a vector from the origin going 30 degrees from the horizontal downward. Then break it into its component vectors. The one pointing down is your vertical acceleration
  6. Sep 21, 2008 #5
    To find the vertical or horizontal component of any vector is simple trig. To break a vector into components, you usually use the formulas

Vy = VSin(a)
    Vx = VCos(a)

Where a is the angle from the horizontal and V is any given vector.

Once you have the vertical component of acceleration, you're ready to solve using kinematics.

You have the acceleration, the height of the hill, and the initial velocity is 0. Which equation could you use to solve for time?
  7. Sep 21, 2008 #6
    Oh ok...i thought that trigonometry of vectors only applies when we are dealing with velocity..sorry..thanks i got the sum...i then used the second eq of motion....
    X=Vot + 1/2at2
  8. Sep 21, 2008 #7
    Nope... Force vectors are the most common in your course. You can use vectors to describe velocity, but be sure not to mix them into your free-body diagrams.
  9. Sep 21, 2008 #8
    i got another one

A baseball is hit with a speed of 27.0 m/s at an angle of 49.0 degrees. It lands on the flat roof of a 14.0 m tall nearby building.If the ball was hit when it was 1.4 m above the
    ground, what horizontal distance does it travel before it lands on the building?
  10. Sep 21, 2008 #9
    i found the time using t = 2Voy/g which came out to be 4.2 seconds....and then wat do i do??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?