1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Kinematics

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    A particle starts from the origin at t = 0 with an initial velocity of 5.0 m/s along the positive x axis. If the acceleration is (-4.9 + 2.9 ) m/s2, determine the velocity and position of the particle at the moment it reaches its maximum x coordinate.

velocity i m/s + j m/s
    position i m + j m

i am completely lost on this.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2010 #2

s3a

When the height of release of a projectile equals the height of landing, the optimum angle is 45 degrees. The optimum angle basically is the angle at which you launch a projectile to cover the greatest horizontal distance. The velocity, V, in its components is Vx = Vcos45deg and Vy = Vsin45deg, in this case. Also i means horizontal and j means vertical.

4. Aug 28, 2010 #3
    thanks for the help but thats not it. the I hat for V in the answer is 0. i can't determine the J hat or position vectors however.

5. Aug 29, 2010 #4

s3a

Sorry your question is a little unclear. Is the acceleration in i and j? Is the vertical height unknown? Is the vertical velocity unknown or just not mentioned?

6. Aug 29, 2010 #5
    That's what I was thinking too. It seams as if there is not enough information present to solve the equation.

7. Aug 29, 2010 #6

s3a

It seems so but in case I'm wrong, in the future: you need either 3 known variables for one component or two known variables per two components then combine the equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook