1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Length

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    Find the vector that satisfies the stated conditions: Length (17^1/2) and same direction as v = <7,0,-6>.

The book gives the answer as being u = (1/5)<7,0,-6>. Having some trouble getting this answer... here is how I went about attempting to solve it:

1. Finding the vector length of the given vector.
    ||v|| = (7^2 + 0^2 + -6^2)^(1/2)
    = (49+0+36)^(1/2)
    = (85)^(1/2)

2. Setting the two vectors equal...
    ||u|| = (17)^(1/2) = k||v|| Since multiples of the vector will give same direction
    (17)^(1/2)/||v|| = k

So k = (17)^(1/2)/(85)^(1/2)

So then my answer would be u = (17)^(1/2)/(85)^(1/2) <7,0,-6>.

Can anyone help point out where I am messing up?? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Work with vectors. Your first condition is u = k v. The second one is ||u||=||kv|| = 17^(1/2). This should work just fine.

4. Nov 8, 2006 #3
    I'd recommend first finding the unit vector [tex]v = \frac{u}{||u||}[/tex], because you know that vector has a magnitude of 1. Then, you know that [tex]||kv||=\sqrt{17}[/tex], and you know that [tex]||v||=1[/tex], so [tex]k=\sqrt{17}[/tex]. So, your new vector [tex]w=kv=<\frac{7\sqrt{17}}{\sqrt{85}},0,\frac{-6\sqrt{17}}{\sqrt{85}}>=<7\sqrt{\frac{1}{5}},0,-6\sqrt{\frac{1}{5}}>[/tex] has a magnitude of [tex]\sqrt{17}[/tex]. So, your answer should be correct... I'd check the answer in your book with your instructor.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  5. Nov 8, 2006 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure that the book doesn't have the following?
    [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{5}} \left<7,0-6\right>[/tex]

(Which is one of many possible expressions equivalent to the answer you've given.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?