Find Ratio ||v||/||u|| for u and v

• Thread starter Whiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the ratio of the magnitudes of vectors v and u is 3. This is calculated by finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of each vector and then dividing the magnitude of v by the magnitude of u. However, it is important to double check the problem to ensure that the correct answer is being calculated.
Whiz

Homework Statement

For u = (−1, 2, 1) and v = (3, 3, 6) find the ratio ||v|| / ||u||

Homework Equations

|| u || = (u^2 + u2^2 + ...un^2)^.5

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the || u || to be 6^(1/2) and || v || to be 54^(1/2)
Therefore the ratio should be 54^(1/2) divided by 6^(1/2), which calculates to 3. It turns out the answer is incorrect. Can anyone show me where I went wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. The ratio is 3.

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{54}}{\sqrt{6}}~=~\frac{3\sqrt{6}}{\sqrt{6}}=~3[/tex]

Okay thanks. I'll have to tell my instructor about it.

Before you do, make sure that the problem you posted here is exactly the same as in your book or wherever this problem came from.

1. What is the definition of the ratio ||v||/||u||?

The ratio ||v||/||u|| is the quotient of the magnitude of vector v divided by the magnitude of vector u. It represents the relationship between the lengths of the two vectors.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. For example, if vector v is represented as (vx, vy, vz), its magnitude ||v|| is equal to √(vx2 + vy2 + vz2).

3. What is the significance of finding the ratio ||v||/||u||?

The ratio ||v||/||u|| can provide information about the direction and relative strength of the two vectors. It can also be used to determine if the two vectors are parallel or perpendicular.

4. Can the ratio ||v||/||u|| be negative?

Yes, the ratio ||v||/||u|| can be negative. The sign of the ratio depends on the direction of the vectors and their relative magnitudes.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the ratio ||v||/||u||?

The ratio ||v||/||u|| is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to analyze forces, velocities, and other physical quantities. It can also be used in computer graphics to calculate the direction and intensity of light, and in finance to measure risk and return on investments.