Vector Line Integral Homework: ∫F ds

In summary, the line integral of the vector field F = <y+sin(x^2), x^2 + e^y^2> along the closed line integral C, which is a circle of radius 4 centered at the origin, can be solved using Green's theorem to obtain the double integral of the curl of F over the surface enclosed by C. This can be further simplified using polar coordinates, resulting in the integral of (2cos(θ)r^2 - r) drdθ from 0 to 4 and 0 to 2pi respectively, which equals -16pi.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Integral closed line Integral ∫F ds where F = <y+sin(x^2), x^2 + e^y^2> and C is the circle of radius 4 centered at origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so ds = c'(t)dt I believe...
where
c(t) = <4cos(t),4sin(t)>
c'(t) = <-4sin(t),4cos(t)>

Then we have
F = <y+sin^2(x),x^2+e^y^2>
where
y = 4sin(t)
x = 4cos(t)

F = <4sin(t)+sin^2(4cos(t)),(4cos(t))^2+e^(4sin(t))^2>
F dot c'(t) = (-16sin^2(t) - 4sin(t)*sin^2(4cos(t))) + (64(cos(t)^3)) +(e^(4sin(t))^2)*4cos(t)

and then take the integral of that with respect to dt from 0 to 2pi?

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle yes, but the integrand is a mess. Have you covered anything in your course that relates line integrals to double integrals?

Looks correct to me. The integral isn't as evil as it appears. I tried to integrate the four final terms separately... For three of the terms, it seems that with a bit of w-substitution, you should be able to redefine the bounds to a form where you won't need to evaluate the integral at all. An integral from [a,a] is zero after all :)

CAF123 said:
In principle yes, but the integrand is a mess. Have you covered anything in your course that relates line integrals to double integrals?

Do you mean Stokes Theorem? If I turn this integral into ∫∫∇xF dS then what do I use for dS? does it become n(dudv) ?? where n is the normal vector? if so how do I find the normal vector of a circle of radius 4 centered at the origin but it doesn't tell you what plane the circle lies in?

PsychonautQQ said:
Do you mean Stokes Theorem?
Yes, and since the surface in question is planar, we can use Green's theorem, the special case of Stokes.

If I turn this integral into ∫∫∇xF dS then what do I use for dS? does it become n(dudv) ?? where n is the normal vector? if so how do I find the normal vector of a circle of radius 4 centered at the origin but it doesn't tell you what plane the circle lies in?
The normal vector will not depend on what plane the circle lies. Your analysis in the OP assumes a circle in the xy plane. dS is computed as usual: $$d\underline{S} = \hat{n}dS = |\underline{r}_r \times \underline{r}_{\theta}| dA\, \hat{n}$$

You will see that the double integral obtained from computing the dot product of the surface normal and the curl of F is the same double integral you would have obtained by directly using Green's theorem.

so I take (del x F) even though there is no z (k) component? I haven't done a cross product with only 2 variables before

PsychonautQQ said:
so I take (del x F) even though there is no z (k) component? I haven't done a cross product with only 2 variables before
There is no notion of a cross product for vectors in R2. In your case, take the z component of F to be zero.

Okay cool, so I took ∇xF and got (2x+1)k

Now I have to take
∫∫(∇xF) dS

I always run into the problem of trying to figure out what dS is...

dS = (normal vector)dxdy? as in the vector normal to the circle? Wouldn't that be (0,0,-1) or (0,0,1) ?

PsychonautQQ said:
Okay cool, so I took ∇xF and got (2x+1)k
Is there a sign error there?
dS = (normal vector)dxdy? as in the vector normal to the circle? Wouldn't that be (0,0,-1) or (0,0,1) ?
Yes, the normal vector ##\hat{n} = \hat{k}## for a positive orientation of the curve. What is the transformation of the area element dxdy to polar coordinates?

dxdy turns to 4drd(theta)

you are right,,
∇xF = (2x-1)k

∫∫∇xF dS
where dS = <0,0,1> r drdθ?
is that correct?

with
x = rcosθ the integral becomes
∫∫(2cos(θ)r^2 - r) drdθ
where dr goes from 0 to 4
and θ goes from 0 to 2pi

PsychonautQQ said:
you are right,,
∇xF = (2x-1)k

∫∫∇xF dS
where dS = <0,0,1> r drdθ?
is that correct?

with
x = rcosθ the integral becomes
∫∫(2cos(θ)r^2 - r) drdθ
where dr goes from 0 to 4
and θ goes from 0 to 2pi
That is all correct. If you have time, you can confirm you get the exact same integral using Green's theorem.

oh wow greens theorem duh.
Are you getting the answer -16pi?

That's what I got from the non-Stokes approach:

∫F dot c'(t) dt from [0,2pi] = -16pi

-------

Not sure if you've used Wolfram Alpha before, but it serves as a great check on your integration. This particular integral was a bit, erm, long for the free service, but the answer -50.26 matches -16pi

Wolfram input of your original integral

What is a vector line integral?

A vector line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to evaluate the work done by a vector field along a specific curve or path. It involves integrating a vector field along a curve to calculate the total force or work done along that curve.

What is the formula for calculating a vector line integral?

The formula for calculating a vector line integral is ∫F ds, where F represents the vector field and ds represents an infinitesimal displacement along the curve.

How is a vector line integral different from a regular line integral?

The main difference between a vector line integral and a regular line integral is that a vector line integral involves a vector field, while a regular line integral involves a scalar function. This means that the result of a vector line integral is a vector, while the result of a regular line integral is a scalar value.

What is the significance of a vector line integral in real-world applications?

Vector line integrals have various applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and mechanics. They are used to calculate quantities such as work, energy, and electric potential, which are important in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

How can I solve a vector line integral homework problem?

To solve a vector line integral homework problem, you will need to first identify the vector field and the curve or path along which the integral is to be evaluated. Then, you can use the formula ∫F ds to set up the integral and integrate using appropriate techniques, such as parameterization or Green's theorem. It is also important to carefully consider any given boundary conditions or constraints. If you are having trouble, seek help from your teacher or classmates or refer to your textbook or other resources for guidance.