1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector linear relationship

1. Apr 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution to the equation: ##{u}\times{(i+4j)}=3k##
    2. Relevant equations
    ##u=(ai+bj+ck)##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am having trouble visualising what to do here.

So my throught so far is that, if i do ##(ai+bj+ck)\times {(i+4j)}=(0i-0j+(4a-b)k) ##
    now if I equate ##(0i-0j+(4a-b)k)=(0i+0j+3k)## I get ##4a-b=3## and this is where i draw a blank,it's the general equation part that I dont get.

I mean if I rearange I could do for a or b, I preffer b as it have no fractions, ##4a-3=b##, so I assume that I would sub this back into u which would give me ##u=(0i+(4a-3)j+0k)##. Now doe the general equation, mean vector equation of the line. Normally I would find the direction vector and the starting vector but it being a cross product has thrown me a bit. Am I on the right lines or have I gone very wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

From the first you know that u is perpendicular to k hence u can be written as ai + bj and from there sub into the cross product and solve it.

4. Apr 29, 2017 #3
    Hi, is that not what I have done, the ans in the back of the exercsie book gives the ans as: ##u=-3j+t(i+4j)## where has the parameter t come into, p.s I did not look at the ans before I posted, but still unawre how u can equal this, as to me it look like the vector equation of a line.

5. Apr 29, 2017 #4
    You just need to equate magnitudes. since any two dimensional vector have $k$ as the unit vector of vector product.

6. Apr 29, 2017 #5
    Ok, I am really not understanding here, how dose equating the magnitudes help with this problem as there is a parameter t. Could you please expand, if you calculate the magnitude surely you just working out the area of a parallelogram?

7. Apr 29, 2017 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\vec u=a \vec i + b \vec j +c \vec k##. You obtained b=4a-3 which is correct, and a is arbitrary. For the general solution, you can not take the coefficient of ##\vec i ## zero in vector ##\vec u##.

8. Apr 29, 2017 #7
    so from what u are saying is that ##a=t, u=ai+bj=ti+(4t-3)j## now I assume that this is t can be any number along the u vector?

9. May 1, 2017 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

t is an arbitrary number, and u depends on it. "number along the u vector" has no sense.

10. May 3, 2017 #9
    Thank you for you help after taking a step back I relieased what was going on. Once again thank you for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted