1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector mechanics problem

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    I have a block/particle that has an initial velocity of Vom/s horizontally and its starting at the top and it is moving down the side of a cylinder with a radius of X. Assume no friction. What is the maximum angle at which the block/particle will remain in contact with the cylinder?

So I derived it in normal tangential coordinates and got that

theta = cos ^(-1) ( 2/3 +Vo^2/(3gX))

Which I am confident is correct. But I also need to figure out how to do it in polar coordinates. So if anyone knows how to do it or knows where to start I would be greatful for any type of help!
    Thanks
    BOB

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi BOB! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
    I don't understand :redface:

it's a cylinder, so normal and tangential coordinates are polar coordinates, aren't they? :confused:

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    Yes, I believe they are but my teacher asked me specifically to do them in both coordinates and the problem is broken up into 50% of the points are distributed to each coordinate system.
    I have to get each coordinate system correct to get any points at all. So I kinda need to be sure that it is right. If they are the same, then how would I basically do the same work but represent it differently or sufficiently explain that they are the same. Or is there a way that I can do it polar thats different than my previous way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook