Understanding the Spin States of Vector Mesons

In summary, the speaker is stuck on understanding the vector meson (rho meson)'s spin states. They mention that for S=1, there are three states -1, 0, and 1. They also mention the state u (spin up, spin down) *d_ (read "d bar" for anti d) (spin up, spin down) and ask how Prof. Mueller got to this. The speaker provides an explanation of the spin and isospin of the rho meson and how it can be represented in terms of quark currents. They also explain the quark content of each rho meson state.
dwight ang
Hi All
Thanks for welcoming me to the physics forum. I am reading Greiner and Mueller's Quantum Mechanics: Symmetries and am stuck at not understanding the vector meson ( rho meson)'s spin states.
For S=1 we get three states -1, 0, and 1.
Prof. Mueller separated them as a rho +/-1, and rho 0 .
for the rho +/-1 he mentions the state u ( spin up , spin down) *d_ (read "d bar" for anti d) ( spin up , spin down)
How did he get to this? I did the Clebsch Gordan analysis and got lost . Need some help here.
Thanks
Dwight

You must be careful to distinguish spin and isospin properly. The ##\rho## meson has spin 1 and isospin 1, i.e., there are three spin states for each charge state, i.e., all together you have 9 physical field-degrees of freedom. In the SU(2) model (only up and down quarks) the electric charge is given by the eigen vectors of ##\hat{\tau}_3##, which are ##t_3 \in \{-1,0,1 \}##.

Sometimes it's more convenient to work in the SO(3) representation of the isospin. Then you have three real vector fields, written as ##\vec{\rho}^{\mu}##. You can easily convert from one to the other isospin basis:
$$\rho^{(\pm) \mu}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (\rho_1^{\mu} \pm \mathrm{i} \rho_2^{\mu}), \quad \rho^{(0) \mu}=\rho_3.$$

In terms of quark currents the ##\rho## mesons are built from the vector-isovector currents
$$\vec{j}^{\mu}=\overline{\psi} \vec{\tau} \gamma^{\mu} \psi,$$
where ##\psi## is the isospin doublet
$$\psi=\begin{pmatrix} u \\ d \end{pmatrix}$$
and the ##\vec{\tau}## are represented by ##\vec{\tau}=\vec{\sigma}/2##, where ##\vec{\sigma}## are the usual Pauli matrices.

By identifying the ##\vec{\rho}## with these currents, you can easily read off the quark content of the ##\rho## mesons. Of course the ##\rho^{+}## is a ##u \bar{d}##, the ##\rho^{-}## a ##d \bar{u}##, and the ##\rho_0## is given by ##\rho_3 \sim |u \bar{u} \rangle - |d \bar{d} \rangle##, because ##\tau_3=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1)##.

What are vector meson spin states?

Vector meson spin states refer to the various possible orientations of the spin of a vector meson, which is a type of subatomic particle. These states are described by quantum numbers and can affect the behavior and interactions of the particle.

What are the quantum numbers associated with vector meson spin states?

The two main quantum numbers associated with vector meson spin states are the spin quantum number (s) and the magnetic quantum number (m). The spin quantum number describes the total angular momentum of the particle, while the magnetic quantum number describes the orientation of the particle's spin in a magnetic field.

How do vector meson spin states affect particle interactions?

The spin state of a vector meson can affect its interactions with other particles. For example, particles with different spin states may have different decay rates or may interact differently with a magnetic field. This can provide valuable information about the nature of the particle and its interactions.

Can vector meson spin states change?

Yes, vector meson spin states can change through interactions with other particles. For example, a vector meson may transition from a higher spin state to a lower spin state through the emission of a photon. These transitions are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics.

What are the applications of studying vector meson spin states?

Studying vector meson spin states can help us understand the fundamental properties of subatomic particles and their interactions. This knowledge is crucial for developing theories and models of particle physics, and has practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy, medical imaging, and technology development.