1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector meteor problem

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A meteor streaking through the night sky is located with radar. At point A its coordinates are (5.60 km, 1.40 km, and 1.10 s later its has moved to point B with coordinates (6.12 km, 0.900 km).

Find the magnitude of its average velocity between these two points

2. Relevant equations

none really

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the vx to be 0.473 km/s and vy to be -0.455 km/s. From this I took average velocity of the magnitude to be y/x to be -0.455/0.473. But the answer is wrong. Am I on the right track or am i doing it completely wrong? Please Help! Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2
    "From this I took average velocity of the magnitude to be y/x to be -0.455/0.473"

Not sure what this...

Anyway, given the components vx and vy you have, the magnitude of this vector, and thus the average speed, is

vav = sqrt((vx)^2 + (vy)^2)
  4. Sep 20, 2008 #3
    haha thanks, i figured it out that i was way off and should have used the pathagerom therom. thank you for the help anways!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?