Finding a Second Hand Vector Motor for Warehouse Crane

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue with a defective vector motor in the warehouse's crane. The repair technician suggests repairing the motor or looking for a replacement. Another option is to consider a full replacement to avoid recurrence, but it may take a long time. The group also mentions Dynapar as a potential option for a replacement motor and encoder.
Matilda Salazar
The crane that we use in our warehouse is not operational the repair tech said the vector motor is defective. Any recommendation as to where we can find a second hand vector motor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean a vector controlled motor ?

Vector control ( also named Field Oriented Control, FOC ) is used in context with synchronous- or induction motors. Maybe you can get the motor itself repaired ( a new coil ) or the failure could be in the driver/controller.

The advantage in repairing the motor is that you don't have to retune the controller, because the repaired motor will be identical to the original motor.

I agree with Hesh! One option is to consider a repair or otherwise you may look for replacements. However, If you still need help with vector motors. I saw some companies who can offer a wide range of motors and encoders in the internet.

Thanks for the responses. I am actually thinking of considering full replacement instead just to avoid recurrence but it will be another long process. This really takes a toll on us as our operations is being hampered.

Does anyone have a first hand experience on Dynapar? Checked out their site and they have a lot to offer (vector motor, various encoder including BEI encoder). Let me know please.

1. Where can I find a second hand vector motor for my warehouse crane?

There are several options for finding a second hand vector motor for your warehouse crane. You can search online marketplaces such as eBay or Amazon, visit local industrial supply stores, or contact manufacturers directly. It is also worth checking with other warehouse owners or maintenance professionals for potential referrals.

2. What should I look for when purchasing a used vector motor for my warehouse crane?

When purchasing a used vector motor for your warehouse crane, it is important to inspect the condition of the motor and any accompanying parts. Look for any signs of damage or wear, and ask for a history of maintenance and repairs. It is also important to ensure that the motor is compatible with your specific crane model.

3. How do I know if a second hand vector motor is a good deal?

The price of a second hand vector motor will vary depending on its condition, age, and manufacturer. To determine if a motor is a good deal, research the market value of similar motors and compare prices. Consider the cost of any necessary repairs or maintenance and factor that into your decision.

4. Are there any risks associated with buying a used vector motor for my warehouse crane?

There are some potential risks associated with purchasing a used vector motor for your warehouse crane. The motor may have hidden damage or wear that is not immediately apparent, and it may not come with a warranty. It is important to thoroughly inspect the motor and potentially have a professional mechanic or technician check it before purchasing.

5. How long can I expect a second hand vector motor to last for my warehouse crane?

The lifespan of a second hand vector motor will depend on several factors, including its age, condition, and frequency of use. With proper maintenance and care, a used vector motor can last for several years. It is important to continue regular maintenance and inspections to ensure optimal performance and longevity.