Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Motor

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1
    The crane that we use in our warehouse is not operational the repair tech said the vector motor is defective. Any recommendation as to where we can find a second hand vector motor?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

Do you mean a vector controlled motor ?

Vector control ( also named Field Oriented Control, FOC ) is used in context with synchronous- or induction motors. Maybe you can get the motor itself repaired ( a new coil ) or the failure could be in the driver/controller.

The advantage in repairing the motor is that you don't have to retune the controller, because the repaired motor will be identical to the original motor.

4. Oct 26, 2016 #3
    I agree with Hesh! One option is to consider a repair or otherwise you may look for replacements. However, If you still need help with vector motors. I saw some companies who can offer a wide range of motors and encoders in the internet.

5. Nov 14, 2016 #4
    Thanks for the responses. I am actually thinking of considering full replacement instead just to avoid recurrence but it will be another long process. This really takes a toll on us as our operations is being hampered.

Does anyone have a first hand experience on Dynapar? Checked out their site and they have a lot to offer (vector motor, various encoder including BEI encoder). Let me know please.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted