1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector multiplication

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

d1 = 4i - 2j + 4k
    d2 = -5i + 5j - k

Find

(d1 + d2) * (d1 x 3d2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My first step was to add d1 and d2, which results in
    -i + 3j + 3k

I then multiplied d2 by 3 to get
    -15i + 15j - 3k

My problem is multiplying d1 and 3d2. I'm a bit confused on how to get the angle.

I believe the formula for the magnitude is absin(theta), however the angle is something I don't quite understand. It is also my understanding that I use the "Right hand test" to get the direction of C.

I think I can find the magnitudes by squaring i, j, k, then adding them, then taking the square root, so I have a and b. What should I do to determine the angle between d1 and 3d2? I think I've done this before, but lacking a third dimension, so it was just a 2 dimensional triangle.

EDIT: I just read the chapter again and got to a final answer of 0 for this problem. Agree?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Both of these look OK.
    Haven't you seen a formula for calculating the cross product using the coordinates of the two vectors. This formula uses something called a pseudo-determinant, with i, j, and k across the top row, and the coordinates for the two vectors in the next two rows.
    Yes, I agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook