1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Multiplication

1. Mar 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    b98fa7.png

2. Relevant equations

RAO = b(Sinβj+Cosβk)

3. The attempt at a solution

The box in red is ω. However I am unsure of where they got the box in blue from? As mentioned above, RAO = b(Sinβj+Cosβk) so not sure where they got the box in blue from? I know of the vector triple product: A x (B x C) = (A•C)B - (A.B)C, but this isn't what they've done?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2017 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

I would assume that they are doing the obvious thing, ie. calculating [itex]\mathbf{\omega} \times \mathbf{r}_{AO}[/itex] first, and given the presence of a scalar factor of [itex]b[/itex] (which goes missing in the second line before reappearing in the third) the vector in the blue box must therefore be [tex]\frac{\mathbf{\omega} \times \mathbf{r}_{AO}}{b}.[/tex] (Although given that something did go missing partway through I would recommend double-checking this.)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted