1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Vector notation

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1
    Can someone tell me what this notation is

[itex]\hat e =\frac{\overrightarrow{u}\cdot \overrightarrow{v}}{|| \overrightarrow{u}\cdot \overrightarrow{v}||} = -\frac{\overrightarrow{v}\cdot \overrightarrow{u}}{|| \overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{v}||}[/itex]

I saw it here https://socratic.org/questions/how-...t-is-perpendicular-to-both-2i-j-3k-and-i-j-2k

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those should be vector cross products not dot products. What don't you understand about it?

4. Mar 11, 2017 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

As PeroK noted already, the multiplications are cross products, not dot products. In the page you linked to, they they actually wrote was this:
    ##\hat e =\frac{\overrightarrow{u}\times \overrightarrow{v}}{|| \overrightarrow{u}\times \overrightarrow{v}||} = -\frac{\overrightarrow{v}\times \overrightarrow{u}}{|| \overrightarrow{u} \times \overrightarrow{v}||}##

5. Mar 11, 2017 #4
    Ah right, so it's cross product not dot product?

And what is the name of this definition or the name of this generalisation because looking on the wiki page I cannot see this format anywhere.

6. Mar 11, 2017 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

All they are doing is finding a unit vector (##\hat e##) that is perpendicular to both ##\vec u## and ##\vec v##. The equation itself uses the concept that ##\vec u \times \vec v = -(\vec v \times \vec u)##. These are very basic properties of vectors and the cross product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted