Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Vector notation

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1
    Can someone tell me what this notation is

[itex]\hat e =\frac{\overrightarrow{u}\cdot \overrightarrow{v}}{|| \overrightarrow{u}\cdot \overrightarrow{v}||} = -\frac{\overrightarrow{v}\cdot \overrightarrow{u}}{|| \overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{v}||}[/itex]

I saw it here https://socratic.org/questions/how-...t-is-perpendicular-to-both-2i-j-3k-and-i-j-2k

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those should be vector cross products not dot products. What don't you understand about it?

4. Mar 11, 2017 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

As PeroK noted already, the multiplications are cross products, not dot products. In the page you linked to, they they actually wrote was this:
    ##\hat e =\frac{\overrightarrow{u}\times \overrightarrow{v}}{|| \overrightarrow{u}\times \overrightarrow{v}||} = -\frac{\overrightarrow{v}\times \overrightarrow{u}}{|| \overrightarrow{u} \times \overrightarrow{v}||}##

5. Mar 11, 2017 #4
    Ah right, so it's cross product not dot product?

And what is the name of this definition or the name of this generalisation because looking on the wiki page I cannot see this format anywhere.

6. Mar 11, 2017 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

All they are doing is finding a unit vector (##\hat e##) that is perpendicular to both ##\vec u## and ##\vec v##. The equation itself uses the concept that ##\vec u \times \vec v = -(\vec v \times \vec u)##. These are very basic properties of vectors and the cross product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted