Understanding "Hat e" Notation

• I
  • Thread starter iDimension
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, "Hate" Notation is a scientific method used to measure and understand the negative emotions and attitudes associated with hate. It is important to understand "Hate" Notation as it allows researchers to better understand the causes and effects of hate, as well as develop effective strategies for preventing and addressing it. "Hate" Notation is measured through various methods, but has limitations due to the complexity and subjectivity of hate. It can be applied in real-world situations to address and prevent hate-based behaviors and attitudes, as well as inform policy-making for more inclusive and accepting societies.
iDimension
Can someone tell me what this notation is

[itex]\hat e =\frac{\overrightarrow{u}\cdot \overrightarrow{v}}{|| \overrightarrow{u}\cdot \overrightarrow{v}||} = -\frac{\overrightarrow{v}\cdot \overrightarrow{u}}{|| \overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{v}||}[/itex]

I saw it here https://socratic.org/questions/how-...t-is-perpendicular-to-both-2i-j-3k-and-i-j-2k

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
iDimension said:

[itex]\hat e =\frac{\overrightarrow{u}\cdot \overrightarrow{v}}{|| \overrightarrow{u}\cdot \overrightarrow{v}||} = -\frac{\overrightarrow{v}\cdot \overrightarrow{u}}{|| \overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{v}||}[/itex]

I saw it here https://socratic.org/questions/how-...t-is-perpendicular-to-both-2i-j-3k-and-i-j-2k

Thanks

Those should be vector cross products not dot products. What don't you understand about it?

iDimension said:

Thanks
As PeroK noted already, the multiplications are cross products, not dot products. In the page you linked to, they they actually wrote was this:
##\hat e =\frac{\overrightarrow{u}\times \overrightarrow{v}}{|| \overrightarrow{u}\times \overrightarrow{v}||} = -\frac{\overrightarrow{v}\times \overrightarrow{u}}{|| \overrightarrow{u} \times \overrightarrow{v}||}##

Ah right, so it's cross product not dot product?

And what is the name of this definition or the name of this generalisation because looking on the wiki page I cannot see this format anywhere.

iDimension said:
Ah right, so it's cross product not dot product?

And what is the name of this definition or the name of this generalisation because looking on the wiki page I cannot see this format anywhere.
All they are doing is finding a unit vector (##\hat e##) that is perpendicular to both ##\vec u## and ##\vec v##. The equation itself uses the concept that ##\vec u \times \vec v = -(\vec v \times \vec u)##. These are very basic properties of vectors and the cross product.

What is "Hate" Notation?

"Hate" Notation is a scientific method used to measure and understand the negative emotions and attitudes associated with hate. It is a way of quantifying and analyzing the intensity and impact of hate on individuals and societies.

Why is it important to understand "Hate" Notation?

Understanding "Hate" Notation allows researchers to better understand the causes and effects of hate, as well as develop effective strategies for preventing and addressing it. It can also help individuals and communities to recognize and address their own biases and prejudices.

How is "Hate" Notation measured?

"Hate" Notation is measured through a variety of methods, such as surveys, interviews, and observational studies. These methods aim to gather data on the frequency, intensity, and targets of hate, as well as the attitudes and beliefs associated with it.

What are the limitations of "Hate" Notation?

Like any scientific method, "Hate" Notation has its limitations. It can be difficult to accurately measure and define hate, as it is a complex and subjective emotion. Additionally, cultural and societal factors can influence the interpretation and perception of hate.

How can "Hate" Notation be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding "Hate" Notation can be applied in various settings, such as schools, workplaces, and communities, to address and prevent hate-based behaviors and attitudes. It can also be used to inform policy-making and promote social change towards more inclusive and accepting societies.