Finding the Position of a Football in Motion: A Vector Analysis

• Thread starter thereddevils
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves a footballer kicking a ball with an initial speed of 10 m/s and experiencing a retardation of 1 m/s^2 due to resistance of the field. By assuming the position of the player as the origin and the movement of the ball as always horizontal and in a straight line, the position of the ball at time t is given by (-t^2+10t) j. However, as the retardation force only acts until the ball stops, the position of the ball is x(t)=10t-0.5t^2 if 0≤t≤10 s, and x(t)=50 m if t>10 s. In the second part of the problem,
thereddevils

Homework Statement

Footballer P kicks a ball to another footballer Q with an initial speed of 10 m/s in the direction of unit vector j.Because there is resistance of the field, the ball experiences a retardation of magnitude of 1 m/s^2. By assuming the position of player P as the origin and the movement of the ball as always horizontal and in a straight line

find the position of the ball at time , t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a= -1

[tex]v=\int a dt=-t+c[/tex]

when t=0 , v=10

therefore , v (resistance)= -t+10

so nett velocity of the ball = 10-(-t+10)=t

And in vector form , v=t^2 j

Am i correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
thereddevils said:

Homework Statement

Footballer P kicks a ball to another footballer Q with an initial speed of 10 m/s in the direction of unit vector j.Because there is resistance of the field, the ball experiences a retardation of magnitude of 1 m/s^2. By assuming the position of player P as the origin and the movement of the ball as always horizontal and in a straight line

find the position of the ball at time , t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a= -1

when t=0 , v=10

With that, I agree, but I don't follow you after that.
So the velocity of the ball is given by v(t) = -t + 10.
All you have to do is find the position.

thereddevils said:

The attempt at a solution

a= -1

when t=0 , v=10

Do you use v for velocity? What do you mean on v(resistance)?

thereddevils said:
so nett velocity of the ball = 10-(-t+10)=t

And in vector form , v=t^2 j

Am i correct ?

No. What do you mean on nett velocity? v(t)=t means that the velocity increases, but the problem said that the velocity decreased. Vector form includes the direction of velocity, and does not influence the time dependence.
One gets the velocity as function of time by integrating the acceleration, and taking initial velocity into account. You have done it, the velocity is v(t) = (10-t) j in vector form.
You get the position by integrating the velocity and taking the initial position into account.

ehild

thanks guys , i did mess it up .

Attempt no 2:

integrating the acceleration vector , v=10-t

so at time , t

position vector , r = (-t^2+10t) j

Better now ?

Better but still not correct. What is

[tex]\int{tdt}[/tex]

?

ehild

ehild said:
Better but still not correct. What is

[tex]\int{tdt}[/tex]

?

ehild

ok so integrate the velocity function once again , s=10t-t^2/2

and the position vector would be 10t-t^2/2 j

But why is my method wrong?

I thought of adding the original position vector of the ball to the velocity of the ball at time,t to get its final position vector . ie

s=(0i+0j)+(0i+(10-t)j)t=(10t-t^2 )j ?

thereddevils said:
I thought of adding the original position vector of the ball to the velocity of the ball at time,t to get its final position vector . ie

s=(0i+0j)+(0i+(10-t)j)t=(10t-t^2 )j ?
The position vector is the integral of the velocity vector, taking initial position into account. The displacement is velocity times time in case of uniform velocity, and it is not the case now.

ehild

ehild said:
The position vector is the integral of the velocity vector, taking initial position into account. The displacement is velocity times time in case of uniform velocity, and it is not the case now.

ehild

thanks !

Wait, x=10t-1/2 t^2 is not the end of the problem. The retardation force acts only till the ball moves. As soon as it stops, there is no velocity and no deceleration so the ball stays at the same place. The ball will stop in 10 s.
So the position is x(t)=10t-0.5t^2 if 0≤t≤10 s, and x(t)=50 m if t>10 s.

ehild

ehild said:
Wait, x=10t-1/2 t^2 is not the end of the problem. The retardation force acts only till the ball moves. As soon as it stops, there is no velocity and no deceleration so the ball stays at the same place. The ball will stop in 10 s.
So the position is x(t)=10t-0.5t^2 if 0≤t≤10 s, and x(t)=50 m if t>10 s.

ehild

ok ,this is the continuation of the problem.

(1) If player Q runs with velocity (-4i-3j) m/s , determine whether he can receive the pass from player P .

(2) If player Q runs in the direction -i with the same speed in (1) , determine whether he can receive the pass from player P.

So in this case , i think i will need to assume that the ball stops in 10 s, can I ?

(1) [tex]r_Q=(20-4t)i+(32-3t)j[/tex]

If r_p=r_Q

[tex](20-4t)i+(32-3t)j=(10t-0.5t^2)j[/tex]

but after comparing ,the time for both equations don match , hence [tex]r_p\neq r_q[/tex]

Where was Q initially? at point(20,32)?

ehild

Last edited:
Go ahead to the second question. It looks more promising :).

ehild

ehild said:
Where was Q initially? at point(20,32)?

ehild

yes i missed that part , so am i correct ?

For (2)

|Q|=5

r_q=(20-5t)i+32j

r_P=r_q

(10y-0.5t^2)j=(20-5t)i+32j

By comparing , 20-5t=0 , t=4

32=10t-0.5t^2

solving gives t=4 too.

Yes for this .

Well done!

ehild

ehild said:
Well done!

ehild

thank you ehild !

1. What is a vector of football problem?

A vector of football problem is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the motion of a football. It involves breaking down the motion of the football into its horizontal and vertical components, represented by two separate vectors.

2. How is a vector of football problem used in football?

A vector of football problem is used to analyze the trajectory and distance of a football during a game. It can help coaches and players understand the physics behind a successful pass or kick, and make adjustments to improve their performance.

3. What are the key components of a vector of football problem?

The key components of a vector of football problem are the initial velocity, the angle of the kick or pass, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the direction and magnitude of the ball's motion.

4. How do you solve a vector of football problem?

To solve a vector of football problem, you need to use mathematical equations to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the ball's motion. These components can then be combined to determine the overall velocity and trajectory of the ball.

5. What are some real-life applications of a vector of football problem?

A vector of football problem is not only used in football, but also in other sports such as soccer and basketball. It is also used in physics and engineering to understand the motion of objects in a three-dimensional space.