Determine Right Angle of ΔABC with Vector Methods

I am getting confused because dot product is taken from tip to tip anyways.What do you mean by "tip to tip"? The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together.
masterofthewave124
Q: Given the points A(1,6,-2), B(2,5,3) and C(5,3,2). Use two different vector methods to determine whether ΔABC is a right angle triangle.

hmmm vector methods...i'm not quite sure what to do but i have some ideas. for a first method, could i take the magnitude of each side and see if the trig calculations hold valid (pretty weak method considering there's many assumptions here). I'm thinkign a better method would be dot and cross product. i.e. for dot product, see if any two sides produces a product of zero?

i would just someone to guide me the right way so no time is wasted guessing around.

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use dot product for 1 method and cross product for the second, longer, method . Start by forming vectors AB, BC and CA .

masterofthewave124 said:
Q: Given the points A(1,6,-2), B(2,5,3) and C(5,3,2). Use two different vector methods to determine whether ΔABC is a right angle triangle.

hmmm vector methods...i'm not quite sure what to do but i have some ideas. for a first method, could i take the magnitude of each side and see if the trig calculations hold valid (pretty weak method considering there's many assumptions here).
Trig calculations? Do you mean sine and cosine? Since you don't know any angles I don't see how you could do that. Of course the Pythagorean theorem might help.

I'm thinkign a better method would be dot and cross product. i.e. for dot product, see if any two sides produces a product of zero?
Yes, that would work as a second method.

i would just someone to guide me the right way so no time is wasted guessing around.

thanks in advance!
Time is never wasted while "guessing around". The more you do it the more you learn.

for dot product: how do i know which two vectors could potentially have an angle of 90 between them? would i have to try all 3 possibilities?

for cross product: what am i doing here?

HallsofIvy: what i meant for trig calculations was in fact pythag. to see if any two sides produced a third side that was the sum of the squares of the other two (i.e. a^2 + b^2 = c^2)

you're also right about guessing around, that's how we learn i guess.

You have basically been given three vector equations in the question;

[tex]\vec{OA} = 1i + 6j -2k[/tex]

[tex]\vec{OB} = 2i + 5j -3k[/tex]

[tex]\vec{OC} = 1i + 6j -2k[/tex]

You now need to obtain three more vector equations; [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex], [itex]\vec{BC}[/itex], [itex]\vec{CA}[/itex]. Can you do that?

For the dot product basically, your just going to have to try all three combinations (there are only three).

More information on the cross product can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product"
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CrossProduct.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also try Pythagoras theorem using the magnitudes of the vectors as Hallsofivy explained .

You are given A(1,6,-2), B(2,5,3) and C(5,3,2). So [itex]\vec{AB}= (2-1)\vec{i}+ (5-6)\vec{j}+ (-2-3)\vec{k}[/itex], [itex]\vec{AC}= (1-5)\vec{i}+ (6-3)\vec{j}+ (-2-2)\vec{k}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{BC}= (5-2)\vec{i}+ (3-5)\vec{j}+ (2-3)\vec{i}[/itex]. Is the dot product of any two of those 0? The cross product isn't applicable here.

Hallsofivy said:
The cross product isn't applicable here.

Why not ? If triangle ABC is rt angled at B , then ,
[tex]\vert(\vec{AB}\times\vec{BC})\vert = \vert\vec{AB}\vert \vert\vec{BC}\vert[/tex].
This is surely a necessary and sufficient condition although a bit long .

arunbg said:
Why not ? If triangle ABC is rt angled at B , then ,
[tex]\vert(\vec{AB}\times\vec{BC})\vert = \vert\vec{AB}\vert \vert\vec{BC}\vert[/tex].
This is surely a necessary and sufficient condition although a bit long .

I believe the cross product gives the vector which is perpendicular to both A and B.

I was only taking the magnitude (modulus). Also sin(B) = 1 .

yeah the cross product would work here...none of dot products produced a value of 0 so i guess its not right-angled. didn't make an arithmetic error did i?

edit:

wait if i used the cross product here, then a x b = |a||b| for any vector combination as arunbg stated. but then the end result would be (x,y,z) = a number; how would i rationalize the equality there?

Last edited:
masterofthewave124 said:
yeah the cross product would work here...none of dot products produced a value of 0 so i guess its not right-angled. didn't make an arithmetic error did i?
Perhaps you did make an arithmetic mistake. Also note that in Hallsofivy's last post , vector AB is given wrongly . It should have been
[itex]\vec{AB}= (2-1)\vec{i}+ (5-6)\vec{j}+ (2+3)\vec{k}[/itex]
Note the change in the last term. Now can you do it ?

masterofthewave124 said:
but then the end result would be (x,y,z) = a number; how would i rationalize the equality there?
Just take the modulus(magnitude) of (x,y,z) as I have shown in my earlier post .

Arun

yeah i noticed HallsOfIvy's mistake when reading it, i figured it was a typo. but even with the corrected values, i can't get it to work.

these are the values I am getting:
AB • BC
= 10

AB • CA
= -27

BC • CA
= -14

i think it has something to do with the vectors I am forming; i formed AB, BC and CA but HallsofIvy formed AB, BC and AC. I am getting confused because dot product is taken from tip to tip anyways.

Are you sure you are calculating the dot product correctly? Here's my working for the first one;

[tex]\vec{AB}= (2-1)\vec{i}+ (5-6)\vec{j}+ (2+3)\vec{k}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{BC}= (5-2)\vec{i}+ (3-5)\vec{j}+ (2-3)\vec{k}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{AB}{\mathbf\centerdot}\vec{BC} = 1\times 3 + -1 \times -2 + 5\times -1[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{\vec{AB}{\mathbf\centerdot}\vec{BC} = 0}[/tex]

Now what does this say about the vectors [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{BC}[/itex]? If you can't see it straight away, note that the cosine of the angle between them is given by;

[tex]\cos\theta = \frac{\vec{AB}{\mathbf\centerdot}\vec{BC}}{|\vec{AB}||\vec{BC}|}[/tex]

Last edited:
sorry I'm so careless (did 3+2+5 instead of 3+2-5). thanks hootenay (note that you have a mistake in your dot product, the first value should be 1 x 3 but i know it was a typo since your answer is still 0).

masterofthewave124 said:
sorry I'm so careless (did 3+2+5 instead of 3+2-5). thanks hootenay (note that you have a mistake in your dot product, the first value should be 1 x 3 but i know it was a typo since your answer is still 0).
Ahh yes, careless error, I seem to be prone to them recently. Thank you for the correction. Now, have you thought anymore about my question;
Hootenanny said:
Now what does this say about the vectors [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{BC}[/itex]?

it says that the angle between the vectors AB and BC is 90 and hence a right-angle. is this what you were implying?

masterofthewave124 said:
it says that the angle between the vectors AB and BC is 90 and hence a right-angle. is this what you were implying?

That's it. So now you've proved it with one vector method...:smile:

1. What is the definition of a right angle in geometry?

In geometry, a right angle is defined as an angle that measures exactly 90 degrees. This means that the two lines forming the angle are perpendicular to each other.

2. How do vector methods help in determining the right angle of a triangle?

Vector methods involve using mathematical operations on vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. By using vector methods, we can calculate the dot product of two vectors, which can help us determine if the angle between them is a right angle.

3. What is the dot product and how is it used to find a right angle?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. If the dot product is equal to 0, it means that the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees, indicating a right angle.

4. Can vector methods be used to determine the right angle of any triangle?

Yes, vector methods can be used to determine the right angle of any triangle, as long as we have the necessary vector information for the triangle. This includes the magnitude and direction of each side of the triangle.

5. Are there any other methods to determine a right angle in a triangle?

Yes, there are other methods to determine a right angle in a triangle, such as using trigonometric functions or the Pythagorean theorem. However, vector methods offer a more direct and efficient way to calculate the right angle, especially in more complex geometric problems.