1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Operations?

1. Jan 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

$$ \overrightarrow {F}=3xz^{2}i+2xyj-x^{2}k $$ $$\phi =3x^{2}-yz $$ are given vector and scalar fields, respectively.

a) $$\quad \operatorname{div}\left( \operatorname{grad}\phi \operatorname{div}\overrightarrow {F}\right) =\quad? $$

b) $$\quad \operatorname{curl}\left( \phi F\right) =\quad? $$

c) $$\quad \operatorname{div}\left( \phi F\right) =\quad? $$

d) $$\quad \overrightarrow {\nabla }\cdot \left( \nabla \phi \times \overrightarrow {F}\right) =\quad? $$

e) $$\quad \nabla \cdot \left( \overrightarrow {F}\nabla \phi \right) =\quad? $$

I know the operations such as the Gradient, Divergence, Curl, and Laplacian. But I don't have an idea what can I do in this kind of problems?

2. Relevant equations
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities

3. The attempt at a solution

a)I found gradient of scalar field and divergence of vector field.Gradient of scalar field is a vector and divergence of vector fields is a scalar.So how can I take the divergence of this?
    No idea for others.I think I have to use some formula for calculate these..But which? I don't wanna a solution just I want to understand logic.Please help me to figure this:) Then I will try to do it myself.

And also,I'd like to say that I'm sorry for my bad English.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Vector*Scalar (better: written as scalar*vector) is a vector again, and has a divergence.

Vector*Vector: Scalar product ("dot product")
    Vector x Vector: Cross-product
    Scalar*Vector or Vector*Scalar: Scalar multiplication of the vector
    Scalar*Scalar: Just like multiplication with real numbers

You can evaluate these expressions step by step.

4. Jan 18, 2013 #3
    @mfb; Is there any another way,because there are a lot of process with step by step? Now,I'm trying step by step.I will tell the result,but I don't know where can I control it?

5. Jan 18, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

WolframAlpha and other computer algebra systems should be able to do that.
    There are many steps, but they are all easy, and you can even re-use some.

For more complicated expressions, vector identities can be useful, but I think you cannot use them (in a meaningful way) here.

6. Jan 18, 2013 #5
    OK.Here is my expression.

= (18z^2-12+72x+2z-6z^2+2y-6yz) + ( 24-4z-3z^2-8y+2x-6xz) + (36xz+36x^2-9z^2-4y+2x-12xz-6yz-6xy)

= 36x^2-6xy-12yz+6y+18xz am I right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook