Which quantities are categorized as vectors or scalars?

In summary, a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar quantity only has magnitude. To add or subtract vectors, you must first resolve them into their horizontal and vertical components. The Pythagorean Theorem can be used in vector problems to find the magnitude of the resulting vector. Vectors can have negative magnitudes, indicating a direction opposite to their positive counterpart. Vectors are used in various real-life applications, including navigation, engineering, and sports.
Fox_Hound
Identify each of the quantities below as Vector or Scalar.
Speed of a train. (Vector)
Volume of a cube. (Scalar)
Acceleration of a rocket. (Vector)
Mass of a pint of milk. (Scalar)
Velocity of a train. (Vector)
Force of gravity. (Scalar)

I put my answers in parentheses but I am not really comprehending the definition of vectors and scalars.My homework won't give any hints of what i got wrong.Can somebody help me see where I am going wrong at.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vectors have a direction associated with them (implied or stated). Which items have a direction?

What is the difference between a vector and scalar quantity?

A vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar quantity only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both magnitude (speed) and direction (direction of movement), while temperature is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude (degrees).

How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first resolve them into their horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can add or subtract the components separately to get the resulting vector. To subtract, simply change the direction of the vector you are subtracting from.

What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how is it used in vector problems?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In vector problems, it can be used to find the magnitude of the resulting vector when adding two other vectors together.

Can vectors have negative magnitudes?

Yes, vectors can have negative magnitudes. This simply means that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of its positive counterpart. For example, a vector with a magnitude of -5 would be the same as a vector with a magnitude of 5, but pointing in the opposite direction.

How are vectors used in real life?

Vectors are used in many real-life applications, such as navigation, engineering, and sports. In navigation, vectors are used to determine the direction and speed of a moving object, such as an airplane. In engineering, vectors are used to calculate forces and determine the stability of structures. In sports, vectors are used to analyze the motion of athletes and improve their performance.