1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector partial derivative

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A function f(x) : Rn ->R is said to be differentiable at point [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] provided that there exists a constant vector [tex]\vec{c} = (c_1, ... , c_n)[/tex] such that

[tex]lim_(\vec{h} -> 0) \frac{f(\vec{a}+\vec{h}) - f(\vec{a}) - \vec{c}*\vec{h}}{||\vec{h}||}[/tex]

Prove that if the multivariable function f(x) (here [tex]x = x_1, ..., x_n)[/tex] is differentiable at [tex]a = (a_1, ..., a_n)[/tex] then its first order partial derivatives at a exist.
    2. Relevant equations
    I know that the partial derivative definition is 342548949e92e400707a6864cb81bb00.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried a few things but I've encountered a road block of sorts. I think what I have to do is provide the vector c such that the given equation somehow turns into the definition of the first order partial derivative. That means that instead of having f(a1+h1, a2+h2, ...) I need to make all the h's 0 except one, [tex]h_i[/tex] so the term would turn into [tex]f(a1, a2,..., a_i+h, a_{i+1}...)[/tex] But I'm not sure how to do that with the vector c... I may be way off base...

Thank you for any hints/advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to put [itex]\vec h[/itex] equal to [itex]h \vec {e_i}[/itex]. Where e_i is the ith basis vector and take the limit as the real number h approaches 0. Does that help? You can't pick c. That's a given. You can pick a particular form of h.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  4. Mar 8, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the response. What exactly is an "ith basis vector" though?

5. Mar 8, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

e_i=(0,0,0,...,1,..0,0,0) with the 1 in position i. The same i as in your problem setup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook