Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Perpendicular to Plane

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    the way to find out if a vector is perpendicular to a plane

the usual way is to find the normal to the plane, then find the cross product of the normal with the vector you are given. if it is 0 then perpendicular, else it is not correct?

what i want to know is, can you also, put the the plane and vector into a matrix, and solve for the constants? if no solution exists, the vector does not intersect the plane thus is parallel? i have a feeling i'm wrong...

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey artkingjw and welcome to the forums.

If your plane equation is in the form n . (r - r0) = 0, then your vector is perpendicular to the plane if Unit(n) . Unit(d) = 1 or -1 where Unit(x) = x/||x|| where ||x|| is the length of the vector.

If your plane is written in the form ax + by + cz + d = 0, then form a vector n = (a,b,c) take x = n/||n|| and then calculate Unit(d) . x and test if its -1 or +1.

Also . means the dot product or inner product for cartesian space which is simply x1y1 + x2y2 + x3z3 in 3D space for (x1,x2,y3) and (y1,y2,y3) vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook