How can you determine if a vector is perpendicular to a plane?

In summary, the usual way to determine if a vector is perpendicular to a plane is by finding the normal to the plane and calculating the cross product with the given vector. If the result is 0, then the vector is perpendicular. Alternatively, the plane and vector can be represented in a matrix and solved for constants. If no solution exists, the vector does not intersect the plane and is parallel. The dot product or inner product can also be used to determine perpendicularity in cartesian space.
artkingjw
the way to find out if a vector is perpendicular to a plane

the usual way is to find the normal to the plane, then find the cross product of the normal with the vector you are given. if it is 0 then perpendicular, else it is not correct?

what i want to know is, can you also, put the the plane and vector into a matrix, and solve for the constants? if no solution exists, the vector does not intersect the plane thus is parallel? i have a feeling I'm wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
artkingjw said:
the way to find out if a vector is perpendicular to a plane

the usual way is to find the normal to the plane, then find the cross product of the normal with the vector you are given. if it is 0 then perpendicular, else it is not correct?

what i want to know is, can you also, put the the plane and vector into a matrix, and solve for the constants? if no solution exists, the vector does not intersect the plane thus is parallel? i have a feeling I'm wrong...

Hey artkingjw and welcome to the forums.

If your plane equation is in the form n . (r - r0) = 0, then your vector is perpendicular to the plane if Unit(n) . Unit(d) = 1 or -1 where Unit(x) = x/||x|| where ||x|| is the length of the vector.

If your plane is written in the form ax + by + cz + d = 0, then form a vector n = (a,b,c) take x = n/||n|| and then calculate Unit(d) . x and test if its -1 or +1.

Also . means the dot product or inner product for cartesian space which is simply x1y1 + x2y2 + x3z3 in 3D space for (x1,x2,y3) and (y1,y2,y3) vectors.

1. What is a vector perpendicular to a plane?

A vector perpendicular to a plane is a vector that is at a 90 degree angle to all points on the plane. It is also known as a normal vector.

2. How is a vector perpendicular to a plane calculated?

A vector perpendicular to a plane can be calculated by taking the cross product of any two non-parallel vectors on the plane. This will result in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

3. Why is it important to know the vector perpendicular to a plane?

Knowing the vector perpendicular to a plane is important in many applications, such as in physics and engineering. It can be used to calculate the direction of force or motion on an object, determine the angle of incidence and reflection of light, and find the shortest distance from a point to a plane.

4. Can a vector be perpendicular to multiple planes?

Yes, a vector can be perpendicular to multiple planes. This can happen when two or more planes intersect at a point, and the vector is perpendicular to the intersection of these planes.

5. How is the concept of a vector perpendicular to a plane used in real life?

The concept of a vector perpendicular to a plane is used in many real-life situations, such as in architecture and construction to determine the angles of support for structures, in aviation to calculate the lift and drag forces on an airplane, and in computer graphics to create 3D images by calculating the normal vectors for each point on a 3D surface.