1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector - plane equation

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i cant understand how can the plane is parallel to vector b and vector c .. can you draw me a better diagram. i cant imagine

Thanks Report

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

first if you take two lines that aren't parallel and that intersect at some point a then visually you should agree that there is a plane that contains the two lines and the intersection point. right?

well vector b is along the first line and vector c is along the second line and a is the point in the plane.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. May 27, 2014 #3
    i can only imagine and say vector b and vextor c contain in the same plane. why both vector are parallel to the plane? i cant understand

5. May 27, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

b and c are vectors lying on the the plane. Take a sheet of paper, draw two vectors on it, like b and c in the first figure.
    Lift the paper. It is a piece of a plane (second figure). Choose a point as origin somewhere outside the plane (O), and connect it to A, B, C. ##\vec {OA}##, ##\vec {OB}##, ##\vec {OC}## are the position vectors pointing to A, B, C, points of the plane .

ehild

Attached Files:

6. May 27, 2014 #5
    ok i can uderstanf it better now .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted