1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector potential confusion

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The concept of a scalar potential is reasonably straight forward. It is the energy needed to move to a point from some arbitrary reference point, the reference point being the origin for most mechanical problems and infinity for most electromagnetic problems.And of course this will produce a scalar field.

The physical meaning of a vector potential, on the other hand, is alluding me. All of my texts seem to be very vague at this point. Mathematically I can say that B = del cross A where A is a vector potential but what does that mean physically.

Any clarification of this point will be sincerely appreciated.

Gary R

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

It's true that the physical significance of a vector potential is not at all as clear as it is for a scalar potential. Just as the scalar potential describes a difference between points, the vector potential describes a difference between paths. For example, when you move a charge from one point to another, it gains a certain amount of energy, and the scalar potential lets you figure out how much. Similarly, when you move a current from one path to another (imagine you have a wire carrying current from point A to point B, and you bend it into a different shape), the current gains a certain amount of momentum, and the vector potential lets you figure out how much.

In practice, it's more useful to talk about the vector potential around a loop, rather than along an arbitrary open path. In the example above, if you take the original path and the new path (in reverse), you form a loop. In more advanced physics, this ties in to the interpretation of the vector potential (and the scalar potential) as the connection of a gauge covariant derivative: essentially it describes the transformations you have to make on a quantum field as you go from one point in space to another.

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3
    Thanks diazona

Just what I needed. It's nice to know that I'm not just dense.

Gary R

5. Sep 12, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In volume two of the Feynman Lectures, Feynman notes that in magnetostatics the energy of currents in a magnetic field is given by[tex]U= \frac{1}{2}\int \vec{j}\cdot\vec{A}\,dV[/tex]In comparison, for electrostatics, you have[tex]U = \frac{1}{2}\int \rho\phi\,dV[/tex]But then he points out the idea of the vector potential as potential energy for currents doesn't turn out to be very useful.

He also discusses how A fits into quantum mechanics. It's worth a read if you get a chance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook