1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector potential of a 2 dimensional field

1. Mar 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute vector potential for the following field:

[tex]\vec{F}[/tex] = <xy, y^2/2 >

2. Relevant equations

[tex]^{0}_{1}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] t[tex]\vec{F}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}[/tex]dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set r = tR, where R = <x,y,z>. Taking the crossproduct F x R, I get <0,0,xy[tex]^{2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{xy^{2}}{2}[/tex]>. I then have an integral:

Int (t <0,0,xy[tex]^{2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{xy^{2}}{2}[/tex]>)dt which gives me
    <0,0,xy[tex]^{2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{xy^{2}}{2}[/tex]>1/2

this simplifies to
    <0,0,[tex]\frac{3xy^{2}}{4}[/tex]>, which is an incorrect answer ( the right being <0,0,xy^2/2>.

I honestly have no clue what I'm doing wrong. My book doesn't show any examples, and doesn't explain how they get this formula so It's been a plug&chug problem for me that hasn't worked. I tried to look online for a description of what is going on but I havent found anything. If anyone knows where I could find examples to similar problems online and maybe where I could find how to derive the formula i used, or could help me out I would appreciate it greatly.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?