Solving Vector Potential: Calculating Magnetic Field & Difficulties

In summary: So now that I have these, I can solve for ##\mathbf{A}##:In summary, to solve for the vector potential ##A=2Cln\frac{x^2+y^2}{z^2} \hat{z}##, I used the following formula to calculate the magnetic field:I was having problem solving this part, I was thinking about using the same formula in question a) ##\mathbf{B} = \nabla \times \mathbf{A'}## and solve for ##\mathbf{A'}## since I have a known ##\mathbf{B}##, but then I realized it is too
Gustav
Homework Statement
Consider the vector potential
A = C ln( (x^2+y^2)/z^2 ) \hat{z}

a) Determine the B-field for this potential. Describe a situation that gives a B-field of that shape.
b) Calculate \nabla \cdot A
c) Give a vector potential in coulomb gauge, A’, which gives the same B as in the a-task.
Relevant Equations
B = \nabla x A
My solution for the vector potential ##A=2Cln\frac{x^2+y^2}{z^2} \hat{z}## is:
a) I used the following formula to calculate the magnetic field
$$ \mathbf{B} = \nabla \times \mathbf{A} = \left( \frac{dA_z}{dy} - 0 \right) \hat{x} + \left( 0 - \frac{dA_z}{dx} \right)\hat{y} + 0 \hat{z} = \frac{dA_z}{dy} - \frac{dA_z}{dx} = 2C \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} \hat{x} - 2C \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \hat{y}. $$
How should I describe a situation with this magnetic field here?

b) I just did the calculation of the formula and got a non-zero value:
$$ \nabla \cdot \mathbf{A} = \left( \frac{d}{dx}, \frac{d}{dy}, \frac{d}{dz} \right) \cdot \mathbf{A} = \frac{d\mathbf{A}}{dx} + \frac{d\mathbf{A}}{dy} + \frac{d\mathbf{A}}{dz} = 2C \left( \frac{y}{x^2+y¨2} + \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} - \frac{1}{z} \right) $$

c) I was having problem solving this part, I was thinking about using the same formula in question a) ##\mathbf{B} = \nabla \times \mathbf{A'}## and solve for ##\mathbf{A'}## since I have a known ##\mathbf{B}##, but then I realized it is too difficult to solve it. I also thought mathematically that this expression ##\mathbf{A'} = Cln(x^2+y^2)\hat{z}## could give us the same value of B as in the a-task. But this is still not solving the problem correctly. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the looks of it, you should convert to cylindrical coordinates. Look up the del operator if you don't know it in cylindrical coordinates.

Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
From the looks of it, you should convert to cylindrical coordinates. Look up the del operator if you don't know it in cylindrical coordinates.
How should I convert to cylendrical form? Do you mean re-write ##\mathbf{A}## in cylderincal form or re-do the whole calculation?

kuruman said:
Also, why should it be cylendrical?

Yes, that's what I mean. Find its form here. It should be cylindrical because that is its symmetry.

Likes PhDeezNutz and Gustav
Also what do you mean by its symmetry? What is its symmetry?

kuruman said:
Yes, that's what I mean. Find its form here. It should be cylindrical because that is its symmetry.
Okay, so for the part where the curl is I need to calculate in this form:
$$ \nabla \times A = \left[ \frac{1}{s} \frac{\partial A_z}{\partial \phi} - \frac{\partial A_\phi}{\partial z} \right]\hat{s} + \left[ \frac{\partial A_s}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial A_z}{\partial s} \right]\hat{\phi} + \frac{1}{s} \left[ \frac{\partial s A_\phi}{\partial s} - \frac{\partial A_s}{\partial \phi} \right] \hat{z} = \frac{1}{s} \frac{\partial A_z}{\partial \phi}\hat{s} - \frac{\partial A_z}{\partial s} \hat{\phi} $$
How am I going to derivate ##A_z## with respect to ##\phi## or ##s##?

Gustav said:
How am I going to derivate ##A_z## with respect to ##\phi## or ##s##?
First, you need to write ##A_z## as a function of ##r##, ##\phi## and ##z##? Do that first, then take the partial derivatives.

Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
First, you need to write ##A_z## as a function of ##r##, ##\phi## and ##z##? Do that first, then take the partial derivatives.
Okay, I tried to re-write it and I got something like this:
## x= s \cos(\phi ), y= s \sin(\phi), z=z##
$$ \mathbf{A} = C \ln \left( \frac{x^2+y^2}{z^2} \right) = C \ln \left( \frac{ (s \cos(\phi )^2 + (s \sin(\phi )^2}{z^2} \right) = C \ln \frac{s^2}{z^2} $$

What is ##s##? Also, please fix the LaTeX.

On edit: Thank you for fixing it.

Last edited:
Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
What is ##s##? Also, please fix the LaTeX.
##s=\rho ##, I am sorry about the LaTeX, I am working on it.

Now I think I can manage to calculate the curl and the divergence. But I still don't understand why we used cylendrical coordinates?

Gustav said:
Okay, I tried to re-write it and I got something like this:
## x= s \cos(\phi ), y= s \sin(\phi), z=z##
$$ \mathbf{A} = C \ln \left( \frac{x^2+y^2}{z^2} \right) = C \ln \left( \frac{ (s \cos(\phi )^2 + (s \sin(\phi )^2}{z^2} \right) = C \ln \frac{s^2}{z^2} $$
Also this is in the ##\hat{z}##

Right. You should put in the ##\hat z## to avoid confusing anyone who might be reading this. Also, conventionally ##s## is ##r## but that's OK if you know what you're doing. Now find the curl and the divergence. Once you have these, I will explain to you why one should use cylindrical coordinates for this problem.

Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
Right. You should put in the ##\hat z## to avoid confusing anyone who might be reading this. Also, conventionally ##s## is##r## but that's OK if you know what you're doing. Now find the curl and the divergence. Once you have these, I will explain to you why one should use cylindrical coordinates.
Okay, so now that I have my ## A_z = C \ln \frac{s^2}{z^2} \hat{z} ## I can calculate the derivatives:
1) Curl:
$$ \nabla \times A = \frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial \phi} \hat{s} - \frac{\partial A_z}{\partial s} \hat{\phi} = 0 - \frac{2C}{s}\hat{\phi} = - \frac{2C}{s}\hat{\phi}.$$
2) Divergence:
$$ \nabla \cdot A = 0 + 0 + \frac{\partial A_z}{\partial z} = - \frac{2C}{z} $$

Very good. Compare these expressions and how easy it was to take derivatives with what you did earlier with Cartesian coordinates. Also, note that from three coordinate ##x##, ##y## and ##z## the problem has been reduced to two ##s## and ##z##.

Look at ##\vec\nabla \times \vec A.## It must be a magnetic field. Can you guess what can possibly generate a magnetic field that looks like this? If so, what is the appropriate value for ##C##?

Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
Very good. Compare these expressions and how easy it was to take derivatives with what you did earlier with Cartesian coordinates. Also, note that from three coordinate ##x##, ##y## and ##z## the problem has been reduced to two ##s## and ##z##.

Look at ##\vec\nabla \times \vec A.## It must be a magnetic field. Can you guess what can possibly generate a magnetic field that looks like this? If so, what is the appropriate value for ##C##?
Nothing is crossing my mind... I don't think I know what could generate this magnetic field. How should I think to get that?

Have you had a course in introductory physics where you calculated magnetic fields for various current configurations?

Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
Have you had a course in introductory physics where you calculated magnetic fields for various current configurations?
Yes, I have

So what I think you mean is that the constant ##C=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}##. But in that kind of experession we have a current in the dominator.

So we are talking about a magnetic field in a wire that is circular shaped?

Gustav said:
So what I think you mean is that the constant ##C=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}##. But in that kind of experession we have a current in the dominator.
There is never a current in the denominator of an expression for a magnetic field. The magnetic field is proportional to the current. That's Ampere's law. What current configuration are you thinking of? If you don't remember, look it up. There is no hurry.

Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
There is never a current in the denominator of an expression for a magnetic field. The magnetic field is proportional to the current. That's Ampere's law. What current configuration are you thinking of? If you don't remember, look it up. There is no hurry.
Sorry I meant numerator not denominator! I was thinking about an expression as the following
$$ \mathbf{B} = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi s} \hat{\phi} $$

kuruman said:
So I have an example in my book about "finding the magnetic field a distance s from a stright wire", the expression of its magnetic field reminded me of the one I got in the calculation for the curl.

That's the one. Nice work. Can you finish the problem now?

Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
That's the one. Nice work. Can you finish the problem now?
Now I am stuck when calculating the vector potential in coulomb gauge, A’. How can I find the A'?

It's not just any A'. It must have a curl that gives the B-field of a straight wire.

Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
It's not just any A'. It must have a curl that gives the B-field of a straight wire.
Yes, but how can I solve for it?

kuruman said:
Does it mean that it is the same as the vector potential A?

No, it means that the curl of A' gives the same B-field. Furthermore, it must satisfy the Coulomb gauge ##\vec \nabla \cdot \vec A' =0##.

Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
No, it means that the curl of A' gives the same B-field. Furthermore, it must satisfy the Coulomb gauge ##\vec \nabla \cdot \vec A' =0##.
Okay, I am with you so far. But does that mean I need to think of an expression for A' or is there a way to calculate it?

No way to calculate it. There are many answers that work, just pick one and verify that it does work by taking its curl and divergence.

Likes Gustav
kuruman said:
No way to calculate it. There are many answers that work, just pick one and verify that it does work by taking its curl and divergence.
Oh okay, so does it work if
$$ \vec A' = C \ln \left( \frac{1}{s^2} \right)\hat{z} ? $$

Because then I will have:
1) Curl:
$$ \vec B = \nabla \times \vec A' = -\frac{2C}{s}\hat{\phi} $$
2) Divergence:
$$ \nabla \cdot \vec A' = 0 $$

Likes kuruman
Gustav said:
Because then I will have:
1) Curl:
$$ \vec B = \nabla \times \vec A' = -\frac{2C}{s}\hat{\phi} $$
2) Divergence:
$$ \nabla \cdot \vec A' = 0 $$
Excellent. You are done.

Likes Gustav
<h2>1. What is the vector potential method for calculating magnetic fields?</h2><p>The vector potential method is a mathematical approach used to calculate the magnetic field in a given region. It involves solving for the vector potential using Maxwell's equations and then using the vector potential to calculate the magnetic field.</p><h2>2. What are the difficulties associated with solving for the vector potential?</h2><p>One of the main difficulties with solving for the vector potential is that it is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. This makes the equations more complex and can lead to difficulties in solving them analytically. Additionally, the vector potential is not uniquely defined, so there can be multiple solutions that satisfy the equations.</p><h2>3. How is the vector potential related to the magnetic field?</h2><p>The vector potential is related to the magnetic field through the equation B = ∇ x A, where B is the magnetic field and A is the vector potential. This means that the magnetic field can be calculated by taking the curl of the vector potential.</p><h2>4. What is the role of boundary conditions in solving for the vector potential?</h2><p>Boundary conditions play a crucial role in solving for the vector potential. They provide additional information that helps to determine the unique solution for the vector potential. Without proper boundary conditions, there can be multiple solutions that satisfy the equations, making it difficult to accurately calculate the magnetic field.</p><h2>5. How is the vector potential method used in practical applications?</h2><p>The vector potential method is commonly used in practical applications such as designing and analyzing electromagnetic devices, such as motors and generators. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields in materials and can aid in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in different situations.</p>

1. What is the vector potential method for calculating magnetic fields?

The vector potential method is a mathematical approach used to calculate the magnetic field in a given region. It involves solving for the vector potential using Maxwell's equations and then using the vector potential to calculate the magnetic field.

2. What are the difficulties associated with solving for the vector potential?

One of the main difficulties with solving for the vector potential is that it is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. This makes the equations more complex and can lead to difficulties in solving them analytically. Additionally, the vector potential is not uniquely defined, so there can be multiple solutions that satisfy the equations.

3. How is the vector potential related to the magnetic field?

The vector potential is related to the magnetic field through the equation B = ∇ x A, where B is the magnetic field and A is the vector potential. This means that the magnetic field can be calculated by taking the curl of the vector potential.

4. What is the role of boundary conditions in solving for the vector potential?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in solving for the vector potential. They provide additional information that helps to determine the unique solution for the vector potential. Without proper boundary conditions, there can be multiple solutions that satisfy the equations, making it difficult to accurately calculate the magnetic field.

5. How is the vector potential method used in practical applications?

The vector potential method is commonly used in practical applications such as designing and analyzing electromagnetic devices, such as motors and generators. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields in materials and can aid in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in different situations.