Vector potential in cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the current density vector would produce the vector potential, A = k \hat{\phi} where k is a constant, in cylindrical coordinates if the vector potential is radial, or in z-coordinates if the vector potential is z-symmetric. The Attempt at a Solution suggests using the Laplacian of the vector potential to find B, however this is not applicable in this situation because the magnetic field is only axial. Yes, this is the case of a solenoid.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

What current density would produce the vector potential, [itex] A = k \hat{\phi} [/itex] where k is a constant, in cylindrical coordinates?

Homework Equations

[tex] \nabla^2 A = -\mu_{0} J [/tex]
In cylindrical coordinates for radial and z symmetry
[tex] \nabla^2 t = \frac{1}{s^2} \frac{\partial^2 t}{\partial \phi^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i m wondering how to take the Laplacian of A
I need to take the second derivative wrt phi of [itex] k\hat{\phi} [/tex]

how do you take the derivative of a unit vector?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Given A,find B by B=curl A
Possibly,you have to refer to the formula...but do not worry...almost all the terms will cancel.One will survive.
Then use curl B=(mu)J

I think it is a problem from Griffiths.

neelakash said:
Given A,find B by B=curl A
Possibly,you have to refer to the formula...but do not worry...almost all the terms will cancel.One will survive.
Then use curl B=(mu)J

I think it is a problem from Griffiths.

yea that was the way suggested by a friend of mine too

i was wondering if using my formula was applicable as well

Since you vector potential has only [itex]\phi[/itex] dependency, you can take the second derivative with respect to [itex]\phi[/itex] only.

Reshma said:
Since you vector potential has only [itex]\phi[/itex] dependency, you can take the second derivative with respect to [itex]\phi[/itex] only.

wouldnt that yield zero?

stunner5000pt said:
wouldnt that yield zero?

Yes, this is the case of a solenoid. The current density vector [itex]\vec J[/itex] is axial i.e. directed along the 'r'. So there wouldn't be a current in the [itex]\hat \phi[/itex] direction. Hence it is necessary to know the magnetic field in this case.

First of all, its the Laplacian of a vector. So the full operator [itex]\nabla^{2}[/tex] operates on all components of the vector potential.

Secondly, as stated, the magnetic field will be axial (along the axis, not along [itex]\hat{s}[/itex] which would be radial).

This is the magnetic vector potential of a long solenoid. Only if it is "long" (infinite in length) does the magnetic field outside go to zero.

Consider this:

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A} = B[/tex]

[tex]\oint \vec{B} \bullet \vec{dl} = \oint \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A} \bullet d\vec{l} = \int \vec{A}\bullet d\vec{s}[/tex]

This is not for your problem, but for physical insight.

The Laplacian operator acting on a vector is a mess because as you note, the basis in general change. The easier way to compute this is in rectangular coordinates, 'cause the basis are constant.

So, I suggest, write your vector potential in rectangular coordinates, get the answer and then return back to cylindric ones.

Dox said:
The Laplacian operator acting on a vector is a mess because as you note, the basis in general change. The easier way to compute this is in rectangular coordinates, 'cause the basis are constant.

So, I suggest, write your vector potential in rectangular coordinates, get the answer and then return back to cylindric ones.

Yes, that's correct..it was merely an observation from me. It'll be a good exercise to do it...but for this problem, you don't need to stunner, just follow the physical arguments given in my previous post if you haven't figured it out by now.

well someone hinted in class to find B and then J foir this question rather than use the Laplaciani was just wondering why my way wouldn't work

now i know why

thanks everyone, for the help

1. What is the vector potential in cylindrical coordinates?

The vector potential in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical representation of the magnetic field in a three-dimensional space. It is defined as a vector function that relates the magnetic field to its source current distribution.

2. How is the vector potential calculated in cylindrical coordinates?

The vector potential in cylindrical coordinates can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which relates the magnetic field to the current distribution through an integral. It can also be calculated using the gradient of the magnetic scalar potential, which is defined as the negative of the vector potential.

3. What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates to represent the vector potential?

Cylindrical coordinates are advantageous in representing the vector potential because they are better suited for problems with cylindrical symmetry, such as in systems with cylindrical conductors or solenoids. The equations in cylindrical coordinates also simplify when dealing with problems involving cylindrical symmetry, making calculations easier.

4. How does the vector potential in cylindrical coordinates relate to other coordinate systems?

The vector potential in cylindrical coordinates can be transformed into other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian or spherical coordinates, using mathematical transformations. This allows for the easy conversion of equations and calculations between different coordinate systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of the vector potential in cylindrical coordinates?

The vector potential in cylindrical coordinates is commonly used in electromagnetism to model and analyze magnetic fields and their interactions with current-carrying wires or coils. It is also used in engineering applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators, as well as in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).