Compute Vector Potentials for Two-Dimensional Fields | Homework Question

In summary, a vector potential is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field. It is derived from the electric and magnetic fields and is necessary for understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in a given system. There are various methods for computing vector potentials for two-dimensional fields, and its applications range from designing electromagnetic devices to studying magnetic materials. However, there are challenges in accurately representing complex geometries and boundary conditions, as well as accurately modeling the physical properties of the system being studied.
EngageEngage

Homework Statement

Compute the vector potentials for the following two-dimensional fields:

[tex]\vec{F}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{xy\vec{i}}{1}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{y^{2}\vec{j}}{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

(1)[tex]\int^{1}_{0} t \vec{F}\times \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem a different way, but my problem is using the above formula. The way that i did it was as follows:

[tex]\vec{k} \times [/tex][tex]\vec{F}[/tex] = [tex]\nabla\chi[/tex] = [tex]\left\langle\frac{y^{2}}{2},xy,0\right\rangle[/tex]

so [tex]\chi[/tex] = [tex]\frac{xy^{2}}{2}[/tex]

but, [tex]\vec{G} = \vec{k}\chi=\frac{xy^{2}}{2}\vec{k}[/tex]
where [tex]\vec{F} = \nabla \times \vec{G}[/tex]

This is the correct answer given by the book, with G being the vector potential. However, I cannot get to this answer using the formula (1) that I gave above. I did the following:

[tex]\vec{r}=t\left\langle x,y,z\right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=\left\langle x,y,z\right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}(t)) = \left\langle xyt^{2},\frac{t^{2}y^{2}}{2},0\right\rangle[/tex]

Then, following through with the computations I get an incorrect answer. Did i set this up incorrectly? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I have reviewed your attempt at solving the problem and I believe you have set up the formula (1) incorrectly. The formula is used to find the vector potential for a two-dimensional field, which means that the z-component should not be included. Additionally, the vector potential is defined as a function of x and y, not t. Therefore, the correct setup for formula (1) should be:

\int^{1}_{0} t \vec{F}\times \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} dt = \int^{1}_{0} t\left\langle xyt^{2},\frac{t^{2}y^{2}}{2}\right\rangle \times \left\langle x,y\right\rangle dt = \int^{1}_{0} \left\langle xy^{2}t^{3},\frac{xy^{2}t^{2}}{2}\right\rangle dt

Solving this integral will give you the correct vector potential, which is \vec{G} = \frac{xy^{2}}{2}\vec{k}.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

What is a vector potential?

A vector potential is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field. It is a vector quantity and is derived from the electric and magnetic fields.

Why do we need to compute vector potentials for two-dimensional fields?

Computing vector potentials for two-dimensional fields allows us to better understand and analyze the behavior of magnetic fields in a given system. It also helps us to calculate the magnetic flux and energy associated with the field.

What are the methods for computing vector potentials for two-dimensional fields?

There are multiple methods for computing vector potentials for two-dimensional fields, including the method of separation of variables, complex variable method, and Fourier transform method.

What are the applications of computing vector potentials for two-dimensional fields?

Some common applications of computing vector potentials for two-dimensional fields include designing electromagnetic devices, analyzing magnetic materials, and studying the behavior of magnetic fields in different systems.

What are some challenges in computing vector potentials for two-dimensional fields?

One challenge in computing vector potentials for two-dimensional fields is dealing with complex geometries and boundary conditions. Another challenge is accurately representing and modeling the physical properties of the system being studied.