1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Potential

1. Mar 7, 2005 #1
    How to find the Vector Potential of an infinite solenoid with n turns per unit length,radius R and current I.
    since here current extends to infinty..
    How will it be done
    Pls Help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Heman, please try to write the equation for vector potential. Then we can better point you in the right direction.

You can use LateX - see the thread on Math applications of LateX - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997 (General physics forum).

4. Mar 7, 2005 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The infinite solenoid has a uniform magnetic field parallel to the solenoid axis. Let that axis be the z axis, for concreteness. So [itex]\mathbf {B}=B \mathbf {k}[/itex]. Now the vector potential is [itex]\mathbf {B}=\nabla \times \mathbf {A}[/itex]. The vector potential is not unique, so any vector-valued function [itex]\mathbf {A}[/itex] whose curl gives you [itex]B \mathbf{k}[/itex] will fit the bill.

5. Jan 23, 2010 #4
    You may consider using the following:
    gradXA = B
    then use Stoke's theorem to write surface int(gradXA.dS) = line int (A.dl), with the closed curve chosen suitably.

This gives line int(A.dl) = int(B.ds).

The surface integral is straight forward while a reasonable choic eof the closed curve makes the line integral staright forward.

Of help?

6. Jan 23, 2010 #5
    The line integral of A around a closed path is equal to the flux of B through the path. For an infinitely long solenoid, B = (n)(I)/((eps0)(c^2)) at internal points. (B = 0 at all points outside of the solenoid.) Thus the flux of B inside the solenoid is (pi)(R^2)(n)(I)/((eps0)(c^2)). At a distance r>R from the solenoid's axis, (2)(pi)(r)(A)=flux of B. That is,

A=(n)(I)(R^2)/((2)(eps0)(c^2)(r))

7. Jan 23, 2010 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

I don't think so. In fact the thread is 5 years old. It might be of help for further people though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook