1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector Problem of two twins

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two twins set out to row separately across a swiftly moving river. They have identical canoes, and can row at the same speed in still water. Twin A aims straight across the river but, due to the current, is carried downstream before reaching the opposite bank. Twin B aims her canoe upstream at an angle of 56.0 degrees relative to the riverbank, so as to arrive on the opposite side at a point that is directly across from her starting point.

Calculate the ratio of the time it takes twin A to cross the river to the time it takes twin B to cross.

Determine the direction of twin A's motion, expressed as an angle relative to the downstream direction.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In order to find a ratio of time, I set up update of position formulas.

Twin A:
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]X=Vavg*t

In the case of the x direction I'll call the initial velocity V which should equal Twin B's initial velocity

[tex]\Delta[/tex]X=V*t

time for twin A:
    t=[tex]\Delta[/tex]X/V

Twin B:
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]X=Vcos34*t
    t=[tex]\Delta[/tex]X/Vcos34

Ratio of A/B for t is cos34, I got this part right.

I don't know how to go about the second part. The drag of the water represents a Force vector, and Twin A start off with a velocity vector in the x direction.

What I do know:
    Initial y position=0
    Initial y velocity=0

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Part 2 is a vector addition problem, where the two vectors are perpendicular:
    The velocity of A with respect to the ground = velocity of A with respect to the water + velocity of the water with respect to the ground ​

Hint: Make use of the fact that B travels directly across the river.

4. Jan 16, 2010 #3
    Alright, so can I assume that the vector downstream is Vsin(56)? And the vector to the other side of the stream is V?

Therefore, angle relative to the upstream direction should be arctan(1/sin56)?

Then 180-arctan(1/sin56)= direction relative to downstream direction = 150

But that's wrong. What did I do wrong?

5. Jan 16, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Why sine?

6. Jan 16, 2010 #5
    I assumed sine because it was the y component of the Vector V for twin B and I assumed that since he traveled 0 Y displacement that his Y vector (Vsin56) equaled the vector downstream.

7. Jan 16, 2010 #6

Doc Al

The stream travels along the x-direction, so why use the y-component?

8. Jan 16, 2010 #7
    Sorry, I assumed the river to be in the Y direction. Upstream being higher than downstream.

Doesn't that coincide with the way I solved the first part?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm sure I'm the messed up one though.

9. Jan 16, 2010 #8
    Wait, I see my confusion now. The sin of 56 is the x component. The sin of 34 is the y component. Besides that, did I do the rest of the problem correctly?

10. Jan 16, 2010 #9

Doc Al

My bad for not realizing that you have the river moving along the y-direction. In any case, the angle is given with respect to the riverbank (the y-axis) and you want the component parallel to the riverbank.

11. Jan 16, 2010 #10

Doc Al

There you go. Other than that, I think it was OK.

12. Jan 16, 2010 #11
    Ok so arctan(1/sin34)=60.8 degrees.

Is this not 60.8 degrees relative to the riverbank from the upstream direction?

So the downstream angle should be 119.2 degrees? but this is wrong...

13. Jan 16, 2010 #12

Doc Al

No, it's relative to the downstream direction. (Rivers flow downstream. :wink:)

You're just mixing up downstream and upstream. You had the correct answer above.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook