What is the ratio of time for two twins to cross a river at different angles?

• Thread starter danielatha4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, Twin A rowed across the river faster than Twin B because she aimed her canoe upstream at an angle of 56.0 degrees relative to the riverbank.
danielatha4

Homework Statement

Two twins set out to row separately across a swiftly moving river. They have identical canoes, and can row at the same speed in still water. Twin A aims straight across the river but, due to the current, is carried downstream before reaching the opposite bank. Twin B aims her canoe upstream at an angle of 56.0 degrees relative to the riverbank, so as to arrive on the opposite side at a point that is directly across from her starting point.

Calculate the ratio of the time it takes twin A to cross the river to the time it takes twin B to cross.

Determine the direction of twin A's motion, expressed as an angle relative to the downstream direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find a ratio of time, I set up update of position formulas.

Twin A:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]X=Vavg*t

In the case of the x direction I'll call the initial velocity V which should equal Twin B's initial velocity

[tex]\Delta[/tex]X=V*t

time for twin A:
t=[tex]\Delta[/tex]X/V

Twin B:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]X=Vcos34*t
t=[tex]\Delta[/tex]X/Vcos34

Ratio of A/B for t is cos34, I got this part right.

I don't know how to go about the second part. The drag of the water represents a Force vector, and Twin A start off with a velocity vector in the x direction.

What I do know:
Initial y position=0
Initial y velocity=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Part 2 is a vector addition problem, where the two vectors are perpendicular:
The velocity of A with respect to the ground = velocity of A with respect to the water + velocity of the water with respect to the ground​

Hint: Make use of the fact that B travels directly across the river.

Alright, so can I assume that the vector downstream is Vsin(56)? And the vector to the other side of the stream is V?

Therefore, angle relative to the upstream direction should be arctan(1/sin56)?

Then 180-arctan(1/sin56)= direction relative to downstream direction = 150

But that's wrong. What did I do wrong?

danielatha4 said:
Alright, so can I assume that the vector downstream is Vsin(56)?
Why sine?

I assumed sine because it was the y component of the Vector V for twin B and I assumed that since he traveled 0 Y displacement that his Y vector (Vsin56) equaled the vector downstream.

danielatha4 said:
I assumed sine because it was the y component of the Vector V for twin B and I assumed that since he traveled 0 Y displacement that his Y vector (Vsin56) equaled the vector downstream.
The stream travels along the x-direction, so why use the y-component?

Sorry, I assumed the river to be in the Y direction. Upstream being higher than downstream.

Doesn't that coincide with the way I solved the first part?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm sure I'm the messed up one though.

Wait, I see my confusion now. The sin of 56 is the x component. The sin of 34 is the y component. Besides that, did I do the rest of the problem correctly?

My bad for not realizing that you have the river moving along the y-direction. In any case, the angle is given with respect to the riverbank (the y-axis) and you want the component parallel to the riverbank.

danielatha4 said:
Wait, I see my confusion now. The sin of 56 is the x component. The sin of 34 is the y component. Besides that, did I do the rest of the problem correctly?
There you go. Other than that, I think it was OK.

Ok so arctan(1/sin34)=60.8 degrees.

Is this not 60.8 degrees relative to the riverbank from the upstream direction?

So the downstream angle should be 119.2 degrees? but this is wrong...

danielatha4 said:
Ok so arctan(1/sin34)=60.8 degrees.

Is this not 60.8 degrees relative to the riverbank from the upstream direction?
No, it's relative to the downstream direction. (Rivers flow downstream. :wink:)

So the downstream angle should be 119.2 degrees? but this is wrong...
You're just mixing up downstream and upstream. You had the correct answer above.

1. What is the Vector Problem of two twins?

The Vector Problem of two twins is a thought experiment in physics that explores the concept of relativity. It involves two identical twins, one who stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. This experiment helps to illustrate the effects of time dilation and length contraction as predicted by Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How does time dilation affect the twins in the Vector Problem?

Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an object in motion relative to another object. In the Vector Problem, the twin traveling through space will experience time passing at a slower rate compared to the twin on Earth. This means that when they are eventually reunited, the traveling twin will be younger than the twin who stayed on Earth.

3. What is length contraction and how does it factor into the Vector Problem?

Length contraction, also known as Lorentz contraction, is the shortening of an object in the direction of its motion. In the Vector Problem, the spaceship carrying the traveling twin will appear shorter to the twin on Earth due to their relative motion. This is because the spaceship is moving at high speeds, causing its length to contract from the perspective of the stationary twin.

4. Can the Vector Problem be observed in real life?

While the Vector Problem is a thought experiment, its principles have been observed in real life through experiments with atomic clocks and particles traveling at high speeds. Time dilation and length contraction are essential factors to consider in our understanding of the universe and have been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the effects of the Vector Problem?

Yes, there are other factors that can influence the effects of the Vector Problem, such as acceleration and gravitational fields. When an object is accelerating, the effects of time dilation and length contraction become more complex. Gravitational fields can also affect the motion of objects, resulting in differences in the passage of time and the length of objects. These factors are taken into account in the theory of general relativity.