Vector Problem: Avg Acc Components

• Thread starter New-Blu-Blood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average acceleration of a particle moving at two different velocities and angles within a 2-second time period. The individual components of the average acceleration are calculated by finding the x and y components of each velocity vector and then adding them together and dividing by the time. The final result is an x component of 6.969 and a y component of -2.86 for the average acceleration.
New-Blu-Blood

Homework Statement

Initially, a particle is moving at 4.40 m/s at an angle of 35.0 degrees above the horizontal. Two seconds later, its velocity is 6.35 m/s at an angle of 58.0 degrees below the horizontal. What was the particle's average acceleration during these 2.00 seconds in terms of the components of the average acceleration?

2. Homework Equations [/

[]3. The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I found the x component of the first given vector to be 4.40 x cos(35)=3.604. Then i found the y component 4.40 x sin(35)=2.5237. I then found the components of the second given vector to be 6.35 x cos(-58)= 3.3649 for the x component and for the y component I found 6.35 x sin(-58) = -5.285.

I added 3.604 and 3.3649 and divided that by the time=2 seconds to get the acceleration x vector of 6.969. Then i added 2.5237 and -5.385 and divided that sum by 2 to get -2.86 as my acceleration y vector.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi New-Blu-Blood, welcome to PF.
Show your calculation.Then we will find out where you went wrong?

To find the magnitude of the average acceleration, we can use the Pythagorean theorem:

Average acceleration = √(6.969^2 + (-2.86)^2) = 7.73 m/s^2

The direction of the average acceleration can be found using trigonometric functions:

tanθ = (-2.86)/(6.969)

θ = tan^-1(-2.86/6.969) = -22.5 degrees

Therefore, the average acceleration during these 2.00 seconds is 7.73 m/s^2 at an angle of -22.5 degrees below the horizontal.

1. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a type of mathematical problem involving the use of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In these problems, the goal is typically to find the magnitude or direction of a vector, or to find the resultant vector of multiple vectors.

2. What are average acceleration components?

Average acceleration components are the average values of the acceleration in each direction, typically represented as x, y, and z components. These components can be calculated by dividing the total acceleration in each direction by the total time interval.

3. How do you solve a vector problem involving average acceleration components?

To solve a vector problem involving average acceleration components, you will need to first determine the initial and final velocities, as well as the time interval. Then, you will use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t to calculate the average acceleration in each direction. Finally, you can find the resultant vector by using the Pythagorean theorem to combine the x, y, and z components.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector problems involving average acceleration components?

Vector problems involving average acceleration components are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They can be used to analyze the motion of objects, such as projectiles, in two or three dimensions. They are also important in understanding the forces acting on an object and how those forces contribute to its acceleration.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems involving average acceleration components?

One common mistake to avoid when solving vector problems involving average acceleration components is forgetting to account for direction. It is important to remember that vectors have both magnitude and direction, and both must be considered when solving these types of problems. Additionally, it is important to use the correct formula and make sure all units are consistent throughout the calculation.