Solving Vector Problem: Magnitude of R & r, Angle with x-axis

• Thread starter deaninator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the two given vectors have magnitudes of 6.1 and 9.3, and directions of 25 and 51 degrees relative to the x-axis. The magnitude of the vector R, which is the sum of the two given vectors, is 15.4. The magnitude of the vector r, which is the difference between the two given vectors, is 4.66. The angle between R and the x-axis is 40.7 degrees, while the angle between r and the x-axis is 5.9 degrees. To solve for these values, the vectors were broken down into components and the Pythagorean theorem was used.
deaninator

Homework Statement

Consider the two vectors r1 and r2 shown in the diagram. The magnitudes of the two vectors are: r1=6.1 and r2=9.3. The vectors directions relative to the x-axis are defined by the angles: θ1=25 degrees and θ2=51 degrees.

What is the magnitude of the vector R=r1+r2?

What is the magnitude of the vector r=r2−r1?

What is the angle between R and the x axis? (in degrees)

What is the angle between r and the x axis? (in degrees)

Homework Equations

Picture is attached

The Attempt at a Solution

For vector R, I think the magnitude is 15.4
For vector r, I think the magnitude is 3.2
But how do i figure out the other 2?

Thanks a million once again!

Attachments

• vectoradd.jpg
    vectoradd.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 979
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question i also got 15.4, i got a different answer for the second question. The way that i solved this was i broke each vector into components, then i added or subtracted as indicated by the problem. For example to get 15.4 i broke r1 into x=5.53 and y=2.58, and I broke r2 into x=5.85 and y=7.23. I then added the x's and y's to get x=11.83 and y=9.81. I used these values to set up a triangle, and then used pythagorean theorem to solve R. Do the same thing for the second problem except subtract the components rather than adding them. I found the angles using the arctan of the opposite over the adjacent in each triangle. I hope this helps.

brewAP2010 said:
For the first question i also got 15.4, i got a different answer for the second question. The way that i solved this was i broke each vector into components, then i added or subtracted as indicated by the problem. For example to get 15.4 i broke r1 into x=5.53 and y=2.58, and I broke r2 into x=5.85 and y=7.23. I then added the x's and y's to get x=11.83 and y=9.81. I used these values to set up a triangle, and then used pythagorean theorem to solve R. Do the same thing for the second problem except subtract the components rather than adding them. I found the angles using the arctan of the opposite over the adjacent in each triangle. I hope this helps.

Ok 15.4 according to the computer is incorrect. Do you have to break down the vectors to components? Like my teacher assigned this problem but in class we never touched base on how to break down vectors.

Here are my solutions. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• Physics Forum Solution Question 2 and 4.jpg
    Physics Forum Solution Question 2 and 4.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 876
  • Physics Forum Solution Question 1 and 3.jpg
    Physics Forum Solution Question 1 and 3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 2,678
Last edited:
yjresources said:
Here are my solutions. Hope it helps!

Thanks it really did! But how did you get the magnitude of ''r'' to be 8.5? I keep getting 4.66

Oh yeah... you're right. I made a mistake punching the numbers in my calculator, so r = 4.66 Glad to have helped.

1. What is a vector and how is it different from a scalar?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In contrast, a scalar only has magnitude and no direction. For example, velocity is a vector quantity as it has both speed (magnitude) and direction, while temperature is a scalar quantity as it only has magnitude.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves squaring each component of the vector, adding them together, and then taking the square root of the sum. For example, if a vector has components of 3 and 4, its magnitude would be √(3^2 + 4^2) = 5.

3. What is the difference between R and r in vector problems?

R typically refers to the resultant vector, which is the single vector that represents the combination of two or more vectors. r, on the other hand, can refer to any individual vector in the problem.

4. How do you find the angle of a vector with the x-axis?

The angle of a vector with the x-axis can be found by using the inverse tangent function (tan^-1) of the y-component divided by the x-component. This will give you the angle in radians. Remember to convert to degrees if necessary.

5. Can you solve vector problems using only one vector?

No, in order to solve vector problems, you need at least two vectors. This is because vectors represent both magnitude and direction, and in order to determine the resultant vector, you need to combine the individual vectors using vector addition.