What is the Shortest Path for a Fly to Walk Around a Room?

• Thread starter goaliejoe35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the dimensions of the room are given and the magnitude of the fly's displacement is found to be 8.63484 m. For the second part, the hint suggests unfolding the room into a net and finding the length of the shortest path from one corner to the opposite corner. This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem, giving a distance of 8.345 m.
goaliejoe35

Homework Statement

A room has dimensions 2.22 m (height) × 5.64 m × 6.15 m. A fly starting at one corner flies around, ending up at the diagonally opposite corner. (a) What is the magnitude of its displacement? (b) If the fly walks rather than flies, what is the length of the shortest path it can take? (Hint: This can be answered without calculus. The room is like a box. Unfold its walls to flatten them into a plane.)

The Attempt at a Solution

For Part A I simply found the displacement...

sqrt[(2.22)^2+(5.64)^2+(6.15)^2] = 8.63484 m

Part B is what i don't understand. Wouldn't the shortest path be diagonally across the room? so I tried pythagorean theorem a^2+b^2=c^2

(5.64^2+(6.15)^2=c^2
c=8.345
However this is not the correct answer. I am also confused by the hint that says to unfold the walls like a box, I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Could someone please try to help me with Part B?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi goaliejoe35! :smile:

I think it means the fly walks from, say, the bottom-south-east corner to the top-north-west corner.

So it has to walk along two walls, or the floor and one wall. :smile:

I don't know how to explain the box thing … I can only suggest you get an actual box, and try it! :redface:

If you're familiar with the net of a solid object then what it means by unfold the room is find its net. Then draw a straight line from what will be one corner of the room to the opposite corner and work out the distance.

1. What is a vector problem with a fly?

A vector problem with a fly is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion and velocity of a fly in multiple dimensions using vector quantities.

2. Why is a fly used in vector problems?

A fly is often used in vector problems because it is a small and fast-moving object, making it an ideal subject for studying motion and velocity in different directions.

3. What are some common vector quantities used in a fly problem?

Some common vector quantities used in a fly problem include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and force.

4. How do you solve a vector problem with a fly?

To solve a vector problem with a fly, you can use vector addition and subtraction to find the net displacement and velocity of the fly. You can also use equations of motion and kinematic equations to calculate its acceleration and other related quantities.

5. What are some real-life applications of vector problems with a fly?

Vector problems with a fly have various real-life applications, such as studying the flight patterns of insects, designing flight paths for drones, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles in motion.