Finding a Net Force: Pulling on a Stubborn Mule

In summary, the problem involves two people pulling on a mule, with forces of 80 N and 120 N at angles of 75 degrees and 60 degrees, respectively. The single equivalent force is 184 N at an angle of 78 degrees north of east. To make the net force equal to zero, a third person would have to exert a force of 184 N at an angle of 78 degrees south of west. The net force is the vector sum of all forces acting on an object.
AznBoi
Ok, last problem of the day lol.. I have found one answer to the problem already, I just need the other half. I'm confused about it though. Please help, thanks. Here Goes:

Two people pull on a stubborn mule, as seen from a helicopter. The picture is like this:
_V_

Ok, in the middle of V it is the y-axis. In quadrant I and II there are a vector in each. The 0 is the mule that they are pulling on.

In quadrant II, they angle is 75 degrees, the Force is 80 N.

In quadrant I, the angle is 60 degrees, the Force is 120 N.

Find a) the single force that is equivalent to the two forces shown, and b) the force that a third person would have to exert on the mule to make the net force equal to zero.

My answer for a):
I got 184 N force at +78 degree north of west.
I used graphical methods(daisy chain, by connected the tail of vector(80 N) to vector (120 N).

How do I find the force that a third person would have to exert on the mule to make the net force equal zero?? I don't even get what a net force is =P

Physics news on Phys.org
AznBoi said:
Ok, last problem of the day lol.. I have found one answer to the problem already, I just need the other half. I'm confused about it though. Please help, thanks. Here Goes:

Two people pull on a stubborn mule, as seen from a helicopter. The picture is like this:
_V_

Ok, in the middle of V it is the y-axis. In quadrant I and II there are a vector in each. The 0 is the mule that they are pulling on.

In quadrant II, they angle is 75 degrees, the Force is 80 N.

In quadrant I, the angle is 60 degrees, the Force is 120 N.

Find a) the single force that is equivalent to the two forces shown, and b) the force that a third person would have to exert on the mule to make the net force equal to zero.

My answer for a):
I got 184 N force at +78 degree north of west.
I used graphical methods(daisy chain, by connected the tail of vector(80 N) to vector (120 N).

How do I find the force that a third person would have to exert on the mule to make the net force equal zero?? I don't even get what a net force is =P
The angle should be 78 degrees north of east (or 12 degrees east of north). The net force is the vector sum of all forces. To make it zero, what should be the magnitude and direction of the third force?

yeah I meant 78 degrees N of E.. Would the third Force be the opposite of the equivalent vector?

When it says "exert on the mule" does it mean that it is on the mule's side or on the 2 people's side?? I think that it is 184 N but the opposite direction of the 78 degrees N of E. Therefore it would be -78 degrees S of W??

Is that right?? 184 N that is -78 degrees S of W?? Like /

AznBoi said:
yeah I meant 78 degrees N of E.. Would the third Force be the opposite of the equivalent vector?
Yes, same magnitude, opposite direction. With the third force applied, the net (resultant) force is 0.

Ok thanks :smile:

AznBoi said:
Is that right?? 184 N that is -78 degrees S of W?? Like /
Yes, but get rid of that minus sign.

1. What is a net force?

A net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is the sum of all the individual forces acting on the object.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add together all of the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one.

3. Why is finding net force important?

Finding net force is important because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. It allows us to predict the motion of an object and determine if it will accelerate, decelerate, or remain at a constant speed.

4. How does pulling on a stubborn mule relate to finding net force?

Pulling on a stubborn mule is a common scenario where multiple forces are acting on an object. By understanding the concept of net force, we can determine the overall force that is needed to move the mule and in which direction it needs to be applied.

5. What are some real-life examples of finding net force?

Some real-life examples of finding net force include pushing a shopping cart, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. In each of these scenarios, there are multiple forces acting on the object (friction, gravity, etc.) and finding the net force allows us to understand the resulting motion of the object.