1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Problem

1. Nov 24, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Vector Problem

Suppose a and b are vectors in Vn and theta is the angle between them. If a=<1,1,...,1> and b=<1,2,...,n>, find the limiting value of theta as n-->infinity

Relevent equations:
    a*b = |a|*|b| * cos(theta)
    theta = arccos ((a*b)/(|a|*|b|)

I know:

1) as n --> infinity, a*b = 1*1 + 1*2 + 1*3 + ... + 1*infinity
    Therefore a*b equals infinity as n approaches infinity

2) as n --> infinity, |a|*|b| = sqrt(1 + 1 +...+ 1) * sqrt(1 + 4 + 9 + 16 +...+ (infinity)^2)

I can make all kinds of assumptions from here but I don't know where to go with this problem. Just looking at what I have so far it looks as if |a|*|b| goes to infinity faster then a*b, but I dont know how to show that and I am stuck. Thanks for the help
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2007 #2
    nono you got the scalar product all wrong :) |a|*|b| -> max(a_i*b_i) = n2 because n*n is the biggest summand in the scalar product.

so the numerator goes to n^2.

Now you gotta take a better approch to calculating a*b=1+2+3+...=n*(n+1)/2

so you have arccos((n^2+n/2)/n^2)) goes to arccos(1) = 0, Pi , 2Pi,... so on :)

i guess it goes that way doesn´t it ?
  4. Nov 24, 2007 #3

D H

Staff: Mentor

Find expressions for [itex]\vec a \cdot \vec b[/itex], [itex]|\vec a|[/itex], and [itex]|\vec b|[/itex] for finite n, form [itex]\cos\theta[/itex], and finally take the limit as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex].

Good so far. How about the rest?

Nope. Not that way.
  5. Nov 27, 2007 #4
    I agree with the [itex]\vec a \cdot \vec b[/itex] = [tex]\frac{n*(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

I don't agree with the part where you say that [itex]|\vec a|[/itex] [itex]|\vec b|[/itex]
    = n[tex]^{2}[/tex]

My reasoning is [itex]|\vec a|[/itex] = [tex]\sqrt{1 + 1 +...+ 1}[/tex] and as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex], the limit goes to [tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]

-- Also shouldn't the sum of the series: [tex]\sqrt{1 + 4 + 9 + 16 +...+ \infty^{2}[/tex] be soemthing like [tex]\sqrt{ \frac{(2n+1)*(n+1)}{2}}[/tex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] ???

I am not sure if the [tex]\sqrt{ \frac{(2n+1)*(n+1)}{2}}[/tex] is correct or not and it is the last thing holding me up. I looked through my calculus book and I can't find it in the series section. Can anyone confirm this or tell me what it auctually is? Thanks in advance.
  6. Nov 27, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sum of the first n squares is n*(n+1)*(2n+1)/6. How did you arrive at your guess??
  7. Nov 27, 2007 #6
    I was just trying to remember from previous classes that I took. Simply a guess.
  8. Nov 27, 2007 #7
    I think that means that as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex], then [tex]\frac{\vec a \cdot \vec b
    }{|\vec a| |\vec b|}\to\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

That means that [itex]\arccos\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \to \frac{\pi}{6}[/itex], which is the angle between the two vectors

Thanks for the help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?