Limiting Value of Theta as n --> ∞

In summary, the angle between two vectors, a and b, can only become smaller as n gets larger. The limit is reached when n*n is the biggest summand in the scalar product. This problem is trying to find expressions for \vec a \cdot \vec b, |\vec a|, and |\vec b| for finite n, but is stuck on the last part. After remembering from a previous class that the limit of the sum of the first n squares is n*(n+1)*(2n+1)/6, the author decided to use this as a guess to help solve the problem.
adm_strat
[SOLVED] Vector Problem

Given

Suppose a and b are vectors in Vn and theta is the angle between them. If a=<1,1,...,1> and b=<1,2,...,n>, find the limiting value of theta as n-->infinity

Relevent equations:
a*b = |a|*|b| * cos(theta)
or
theta = arccos ((a*b)/(|a|*|b|)

I know:

1) as n --> infinity, a*b = 1*1 + 1*2 + 1*3 + ... + 1*infinity
Therefore a*b equals infinity as n approaches infinity

2) as n --> infinity, |a|*|b| = sqrt(1 + 1 +...+ 1) * sqrt(1 + 4 + 9 + 16 +...+ (infinity)^2)

I can make all kinds of assumptions from here but I don't know where to go with this problem. Just looking at what I have so far it looks as if |a|*|b| goes to infinity faster then a*b, but I don't know how to show that and I am stuck. Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
nono you got the scalar product all wrong :) |a|*|b| -> max(a_i*b_i) = n2 because n*n is the biggest summand in the scalar product.

so the numerator goes to n^2.

Now you got to take a better approch to calculating a*b=1+2+3+...=n*(n+1)/2

so you have arccos((n^2+n/2)/n^2)) goes to arccos(1) = 0, Pi , 2Pi,... so on :)

i guess it goes that way doesn´t it ?

adm_strat said:
I know:

1) as n --> infinity, a*b = 1*1 + 1*2 + 1*3 + ... + 1*infinity
Therefore a*b equals infinity as n approaches infinity

2) as n --> infinity, |a|*|b| = sqrt(1 + 1 +...+ 1) * sqrt(1 + 4 + 9 + 16 +...+ (infinity)^2)

Find expressions for [itex]\vec a \cdot \vec b[/itex], [itex]|\vec a|[/itex], and [itex]|\vec b|[/itex] for finite n, form [itex]\cos\theta[/itex], and finally take the limit as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex].

Mr.Brown said:
Now you got to take a better approch to calculating a*b=1+2+3+...=n*(n+1)/2

Good so far. How about the rest?

so you have arccos((n^2+n/2)/n^2)) goes to arccos(1) = 0, Pi , 2Pi,... so on :)
i guess it goes that way doesn´t it ?

Nope. Not that way.

I agree with the [itex]\vec a \cdot \vec b[/itex] = [tex]\frac{n*(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

I don't agree with the part where you say that [itex]|\vec a|[/itex] [itex]|\vec b|[/itex]
= n[tex]^{2}[/tex]

My reasoning is [itex]|\vec a|[/itex] = [tex]\sqrt{1 + 1 +...+ 1}[/tex] and as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex], the limit goes to [tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]

-- Also shouldn't the sum of the series: [tex]\sqrt{1 + 4 + 9 + 16 +...+ \infty^{2}[/tex] be soemthing like [tex]\sqrt{ \frac{(2n+1)*(n+1)}{2}}[/tex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] ?

I am not sure if the [tex]\sqrt{ \frac{(2n+1)*(n+1)}{2}}[/tex] is correct or not and it is the last thing holding me up. I looked through my calculus book and I can't find it in the series section. Can anyone confirm this or tell me what it auctually is? Thanks in advance.

Sum of the first n squares is n*(n+1)*(2n+1)/6. How did you arrive at your guess??

I was just trying to remember from previous classes that I took. Simply a guess.

I think that means that as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex], then [tex]\frac{\vec a \cdot \vec b
}{|\vec a| |\vec b|}\to\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

That means that [itex]\arccos\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \to \frac{\pi}{6}[/itex], which is the angle between the two vectors

Thanks for the help

What is the limiting value of Theta as n approaches infinity?

The limiting value of Theta as n approaches infinity is the value that the function approaches as n gets larger and larger. In other words, it is the value that the function "settles" at as n approaches infinity.

How is the limiting value of Theta calculated?

The limiting value of Theta can be calculated using various methods, depending on the function. One common method is to take the limit of the function as n approaches infinity, using techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem.

Why is the limiting value of Theta important in mathematics?

The limiting value of Theta is important because it helps us understand the behavior of functions as the input approaches infinity. It can also be used to find the asymptotic behavior of a function, which is helpful in analyzing algorithms and other mathematical models.

Can the limiting value of Theta be different for different functions?

Yes, the limiting value of Theta can be different for different functions. Each function has its own unique behavior as n approaches infinity, and therefore, the limiting value will also vary.

Is the limiting value of Theta always a finite number?

No, the limiting value of Theta can also be infinite. This can happen when the function grows without bound as n approaches infinity, or when the function oscillates between positive and negative values without approaching a specific value.