1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Problem

1. Aug 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove [tex]\mathbf{PQ}\cdot \mathbf v=\int_a^b\frac{\textup d\gamma}{\textup d t}(t)\cdot\mathbf v\textup d t[/tex]
    where [tex] \mathbf P=\gamma(a)[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf Q=\gamma(b)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get
    \int_a^b\frac{\textup d\gamma}{\textup d t}(t)\cdot\mathbf v\textup d t=v_x\int_a^b{\frac{\textup d\gamma_x}{\textup d t}\textup d t}+v_y\int_a^b{\frac{\textup d\gamma_y}{\textup d t}\textup d t}+v_z\int_a^b{\frac{\textup d\gamma_z}{\textup d t}\textup d t}\\
    =\mathbf v\cdot(\mathbf{Q-P})[/tex]

I'm not sure how to turn this into what is given. I'm not even sure I know what the left hand side of the given identity means. Is it the same thing as
    [tex]\mathbf{P}(\mathbf Q}\cdot \mathbf v)[/tex]
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2010 #2
    By the way, [tex]v[/tex] is assumed to be a unit vector.
  4. Aug 14, 2010 #3
    hopefully somebody with more authority can correct me but...

I'm very certain that PQ is defined as (Q - P) so you are correct (didn't look through the whole derivation though)
  5. Aug 14, 2010 #4
    Oh, I get it. It's the vector from P to Q. Thanks heaps for that. I was so busy trying to figure out where I'd gone wrong that it never occurred to me that I may have it right. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook