1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Problem

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1
    Vector Problem URGENT

Two vectors A and B have precisly equal magnitudes. In order for the magnitude of A +B to be larger then the magnitude of A - B by the factor n, what must be the anle between them?

There is the question i need help on this quickly thank you for nehelp i know u have to use the cosine rule

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2
    Have you worked out the magnitudes of A+B and A - B ?

4. Sep 15, 2004 #3
    no there not given you just know they are equal

5. Sep 15, 2004 #4
    I didn't mean the magnitudes of the original vectors. Let's say |A|=|B|=1 (the answer shouldn't depend on this number). If you let C = A+B and D = A-B , what are the magnitudes of C and D? Hint: to get the magnitude of an arbitrary vector, you take its dot product with....

6. Sep 15, 2004 #5
    sorry i still dont get it you must think im stupid but i really have no idea how this will get a solution

7. Sep 15, 2004 #6

wm

the angle is twice the angle whose tan is 1/(n+1)

the angle is twice the angle whose tan is 1/(n+1).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  8. Sep 15, 2004 #7
    Please tell me how you got that thank you so much.

9. Sep 15, 2004 #8

wm

Let o be the desired angle; let the magnitudes of A and B be |A| = a and |B| = b; then let a and b = r, the radius of a circle. So |A-B| is the related chord of the circle: c = 2rsin(o/2). And |A+B| is twice the distance from the centre of the circle to the midpoint of the chord (call it x): x = rcos(o/2) =(n+1)c/2 [because you want |A+B| = (n+1)|A-B|]. So c/x = 2tan(o/2) = 2/(n+1); whence o = 2tan^(-1) [1/(n+1)]. I hope!

PS: Note that I've read the question fairly strictly -- perhaps too strict?
    "In order for the magnitude of A +B to be larger then the magnitude of A - B by the factor n"

To me this is not the same as saying:
    "In order for the magnitude of A +B to be n-times the magnitude of A - B." If that's what you meant then its 1/n you use.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  10. Sep 15, 2004 #9
    Thank you * infinity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?