Finding Prependicular Unit Vectors in 3D Space

This method can be used to find both the unit vectors perpendicular to i+2j+k and the unit vectors perpendicular to 2i+3j. In summary, to find the unit vectors u that are perpendicular to both i+2j+k and 3i-4j+2k, and two mutually perpendicular unit vectors that are perpendicular to 2i+3j, use the cross product and normalize the resulting vector to find the desired unit vectors.
brad sue
Hi please, someone help me with those problems?

It's about three dimension space and it is about vectors properties:

Find the unit vectors u that are prependicular to both i+2j+k and 3i-4j+2k.

the second is:

Find two mutually perpendicular unit vectors that are perpendicular to 2i+3j

Thank you for your help

Brad

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Express the vector(s) you seek in terms of unknown coefficients (e.g. ai+bj+ck) and use the definition of 'perpendicular' (i.e. the dotproduct is zero) to find equations you can solve for these unknowns.

You can also use the fact that the outer product (vectorial) of two vectors gives a new vector which is perpendicular to the first two. Divide by the norm to make it a unit vector.

thanks

OK I going to try your suggestion

da_willem said:
Express the vector(s) you seek in terms of unknown coefficients (e.g. ai+bj+ck) and use the definition of 'perpendicular' (i.e. the dotproduct is zero) to find equations you can solve for these unknowns.

a vector perpendicular to two separate vectors is created by using the cross product

What is a perpendicular unit vector in 3D space?

A perpendicular unit vector is a vector that is perpendicular, or at a 90 degree angle, to a given vector in 3D space. It has a magnitude of 1, meaning it has a length of 1 unit, and is often used in mathematical and scientific calculations.

How do you find a perpendicular unit vector in 3D space?

To find a perpendicular unit vector in 3D space, you can use the cross product of two non-parallel vectors. This will result in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors and has a magnitude of 1. There are also other methods, such as finding the normal vector of a plane, that can be used to find a perpendicular unit vector.

Why is finding perpendicular unit vectors important in 3D space?

Finding perpendicular unit vectors is important in 3D space because it allows us to determine the direction and orientation of objects or forces in three-dimensional systems. It is also essential in many mathematical and scientific calculations, such as calculating angles, finding the equation of a plane, and determining the torque of an object.

Can perpendicular unit vectors exist in higher dimensions?

Yes, perpendicular unit vectors can exist in higher dimensions. In fact, the concept of perpendicularity and unit vectors can be extended to any number of dimensions. However, the method for finding them may differ from the method used in 3D space.

What are some real-world applications of perpendicular unit vectors in 3D space?

Perpendicular unit vectors have many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They are used to determine the orientation of objects in 3D space, such as in 3D modeling and animation. They are also used in robotics to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces applied to a robot. In physics, perpendicular unit vectors are used to calculate the torque and angular momentum of objects in 3D space.