Solving a Vector Problem in the xy Plane

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a given vector with a magnitude of 80.0 units and a y component of -60.0 units in the xy plane. It explored the two possibilities for its x component and asked for a vector that, when added to the original one, would result in a 70.0 unit vector pointing in the -x direction. Additionally, the equation linking the components x, y, and r for a vector with magnitude r was mentioned.
jpodo
Here is the problem I can't solve:

You are given a vector in the xy plane that has a magnitude of 80.0 units and a y component of -60.0 units.

(a) What are the two possibilities for its x component?

(b) Assuming the x component is known to be positive, specify the vector which, if you add it to the original one would give a resultant vector that is 70.0 units long and points entirely in the -x direction. (looking for Magnitude + Direction)

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that a vector has the components x and y, and a magnitude r. What's the equation that links x, y and r?

I would approach this problem by first visualizing the given vector in the xy plane. By knowing the magnitude and y component, I can draw a right triangle where the hypotenuse is 80.0 units and the opposite side is -60.0 units. From this, I can use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the missing side, which would be the x component. This leads to two possibilities for the x component: +64.3 units and -64.3 units.

Next, to find the vector that, when added to the original one, would give a resultant vector that is 70.0 units long and points entirely in the -x direction, I would use basic vector addition principles. Since the resultant vector must point in the -x direction, the x component of the added vector must be negative. By setting up an equation using the magnitude of the resultant vector and the known x component of the added vector, I can solve for the y component. This would result in a vector with a magnitude of 70.0 units and a y component of -56.2 units, pointing in the -x direction.

In summary, to solve this vector problem in the xy plane, I would use visualization and basic vector addition principles to find the two possibilities for the x component and the vector that would give the desired resultant vector. This approach follows the scientific method of using observation, experimentation, and logic to solve problems.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow in the xy plane.

How do I solve a vector problem in the xy plane?

To solve a vector problem in the xy plane, you will need to break the vector into its components, which are the horizontal and vertical parts. You can then use trigonometry and algebra to find the magnitude and direction of the vector.

What are the steps for solving a vector problem in the xy plane?

The steps for solving a vector problem in the xy plane are: 1) Identify the vector and its components, 2) Draw the vector on the xy plane, 3) Use trigonometry to find the magnitude and direction of the vector, and 4) Check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

What are some common applications of solving vector problems in the xy plane?

Solving vector problems in the xy plane is commonly used in physics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object, as well as to determine the forces acting on an object.

Are there any tips for solving vector problems in the xy plane?

Some tips for solving vector problems in the xy plane include: 1) Draw a clear and accurate diagram, 2) Label all given information and unknowns, 3) Break the vector into its components, and 4) Use trigonometric functions and basic algebra to solve for the unknowns.