Help With Vector Problems: Find Horizontal Velocity & Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses two vector problems. The first problem involves an arrow's horizontal velocity at different times and angles, and the use of trigonometry to find the uniform vertical acceleration. The second problem involves finding the other forces acting on a swing in a specific position, using the given tension force and a free body diagram.
jampop

Homework Statement

Could anyone help me with these vector problems?

1. At the top of its flight, an arrow has a horizontal velocity of 35ms-1. Two seconds later its velocity is 40ms-1 at an angle of 29 degrees below the horizontal. After a further 2 seconds, it is moving at 53ms-1 at 49 degrees below the horizontal. What has happened to the horizontal velocity component during these 4 seconds? Use the vertical velcotiy components to find a value for the arrow's uniform vertical acceleraton. Comment on your value

2. A young child is enjoying a swing. When the swing stops, mum pulls it back wth a horizontal force through an angle of 25 degrees. In this position, the tension in the chain is 110N. Use the horizontal and vertical components of the tension in the chain to find the two other forces acting on the swing when it is at rest in this position

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. well for at the moment I've got 2 triangles? one with an angle of 29 and one with an angle of 49 with the adjacent at 35 I am just not sure what to do their to go onto the trigonometry

2. i have no clue on how to start this question

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You'll need to use some trig (sin and cos) to get the horizontal and vertical components of each velocity.

2. Draw a free body diagram for the swing, showing all forces acting on it. They tell you what the tension force (both magnitude and direction) is.

p.s. welcome to Physics Forums!

I would suggest breaking down each problem into smaller, more manageable steps. For the first problem, you can start by drawing a diagram of the arrow's motion and labeling the given velocities and angles. Then, use trigonometric functions to find the horizontal velocity component at each time interval. From there, you can determine the change in the horizontal velocity over the 4 seconds and use the vertical velocity components to find the uniform vertical acceleration. Make sure to also comment on the value you obtained and whether it seems reasonable based on the given information.

For the second problem, you can again start by drawing a diagram of the swing and labeling the given information. Use trigonometric functions to find the horizontal and vertical components of the tension in the chain. Then, use Newton's laws of motion to analyze the forces acting on the swing and determine the other two forces. It may also be helpful to consider the equilibrium condition (sum of all forces equals zero) for the swing at rest in this position.

Overall, it is important to break down the problems into smaller steps and use relevant equations and concepts to solve them. It may also be helpful to practice more problems to become more familiar with vector problems and their solutions.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size or numerical value) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector.

2. How do I find the horizontal velocity in a vector problem?

To find the horizontal velocity in a vector problem, you can use the formula v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. This formula assumes that the motion is happening in a straight line.

3. What are some common forces involved in vector problems?

Some common forces involved in vector problems include gravity, friction, tension, normal force, and applied force. These forces can act in different directions and magnitudes, which can affect the motion of an object.

4. How do I solve for a force in a vector problem?

To solve for a force in a vector problem, you can use the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This formula is known as Newton's second law of motion and applies to objects with constant mass.

5. What are some tips for solving vector problems?

Some tips for solving vector problems include drawing a clear and accurate diagram, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using vector addition and subtraction to find the resultant vector, and using the appropriate formulas for velocity and forces. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct units in calculations.