1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector products

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Force = (8.7 N) - (4.2 N) acts on a pebble with position vector = (3.7 m) - (6.5 m), relative to the origin. What is the resulting torque acting on the pebble about (a) the origin and (b) a point with coordinates (5.0 m, 0, -1.7 m)?

2. Relevant equations
    The cross product torque=rxf

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got part (a) correct, however I cannot get part (b) correct, I've done it about 5 times and it is completely wrong, my answers are: 0i + 6.21j + 0k. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

How did one do the first part?

I'm a bit confused as to the position vector (3.7 m) - (6.5 m) and the pebble location. Is the pebble at the origin and the position vector is the moment arm of the force?
  4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
    Force is Force = (8.7 N)i - (4.2 N)k and position vector = (3.7 m)j - (6.5 m)k, which is relative to the origin
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?