1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector/Projectile Questions

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pitcher throws a baseball horizontally from the mound to home plate. the ball falls .809 m by the time it reaches home plate 18.3 m away. how fast was the pitchers pitch?

2. Relevant equations
    c^2=a^2+b^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    i drew a picture with .809 as the height (x) and 18.3 as the distance (y) and then used the pythagorean theorem to calculate they hypotenuse which was 18.3 and what i assumed to be the answer.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A shell is fired from the ground with an initial speed of 1.74 multiplied by 103 m/s at an initial angle of 45° to the horizontal. Neglecting air resistance, find the shell's horizontal range. Find the amount of time the shell is in motion.

2. Relevant equations
    Vx= vi(cos theta), x=(vi cos theta)(T)--->rearrange to get x/vi(cos theta)=t

3. The attempt at a solution
    i solved for vx=1740(cos 45)=1230.4 but that was wrong. then i took 1230.4/1740(cos 45) and got 1 s for T which was wrong as well.

thanks for the help

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted