1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Projection Proof

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1
    Me again.

I would really appreciate if you could help me with the following proof:

a,b,c are vectors

Does aproj.(b+c) =aproj.b + aproj.c

Sorry for notation.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You won't be able to prove it, since the result is not true in general.

Notice that only the direction of the vector whose span you are projecting on is important, not its magnitude. Use this to find a simple counterexample.

4. Mar 8, 2005 #3
    Umm yeah the question asks does blah=blah. I thought that it would not be true, however I am clueless how to put it on paper that the direction would not be the same. Should I call sum of vectors b and c a vector d?

5. Mar 8, 2005 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just give a counter example. You'll have to look for one. That's sufficient.

6. Mar 8, 2005 #5
    Could you be a little more specific? Or should I just do right and left side for 3 random vectors, and thus prove that the equality is not true?

7. Mar 8, 2005 #6

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

Generally, the easier the counterexample the better. Since the reason for the deficit is known it can help you to find an example:
    Take b and c linearly dependent. Then projecting on b is the same as projecting on c or projecting on b+c. So the right side is twice the left side.

8. Mar 8, 2005 #7
    OK thanks a bunch

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?