Vector Projection Proof: Does aproj.(b+c) = aproj.b + aproj.c?

In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for help with a proof involving vectors and the other person explaining that the statement in question is not true in general. They advise using the direction of the vectors rather than their magnitude to find a simple counterexample. The person asking for help is unsure how to proceed and asks for more specific guidance, to which the other person suggests finding a counterexample by considering linearly dependent vectors. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help.
Poobel
Me again.

I would really appreciate if you could help me with the following proof:

a,b,c are vectors

Does aproj.(b+c) =aproj.b + aproj.c

Sorry for notation.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't be able to prove it, since the result is not true in general.

Notice that only the direction of the vector whose span you are projecting on is important, not its magnitude. Use this to find a simple counterexample.

Umm yeah the question asks does blah=blah. I thought that it would not be true, however I am clueless how to put it on paper that the direction would not be the same. Should I call sum of vectors b and c a vector d?

Just give a counter example. You'll have to look for one. That's sufficient.

Could you be a little more specific? Or should I just do right and left side for 3 random vectors, and thus prove that the equality is not true?

Yes.

Generally, the easier the counterexample the better. Since the reason for the deficit is known it can help you to find an example:
Take b and c linearly dependent. Then projecting on b is the same as projecting on c or projecting on b+c. So the right side is twice the left side.

OK thanks a bunch

1. What is vector projection?

Vector projection is a mathematical operation that involves finding the component of one vector that lies in the direction of another vector. It is often used in physics and engineering to break down a vector into its components and analyze its behavior.

2. How is vector projection calculated?

Vector projection is calculated using the dot product of two vectors. The result is then divided by the magnitude of the second vector to find the magnitude of the projected vector. The direction of the projected vector is the same as the direction of the second vector.

3. What is the purpose of vector projection?

The purpose of vector projection is to simplify complex vector operations and make it easier to analyze the behavior of a vector in a specific direction. It is also used to find the shortest distance from a point to a line or plane.

4. Can vector projection be negative?

Yes, vector projection can be negative. If the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, the projection will be negative. This indicates that the component of the first vector is in the opposite direction of the second vector.

5. How is vector projection used in real-life applications?

Vector projection is used in many real-life applications such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze the motion of objects, calculate forces and velocities, and create realistic 3D graphics. It is also used in navigation systems to determine the shortest distance between two points.