1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Proof Question!

1. Mar 25, 2007 #1
    Hey ive got a vector proof question that i cant get. Sorry i cant provide a diagram but hopefully you can see where i went wrong.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For triange PQR with with X dividing vector PR in the ratio of 2:3, Y the midpoint of vector PQ and Z the pint of intersection of QX and RY prove that Z divides RY in the ratio 3:1

2. Relevant equations
    first i said that vector RZ was a scalar multiple of vector RY.

and my second equation was RZ=tRQ + (1-t)RX

3. The attempt at a solution

first i got both equations in terms of sides of the triange.
    and RZ=tRQ +(1-t)3/5(RP)

then i set the two equations equal to each other and attempted to solve for s and t. I ended up getting s=6/5 and t=2/3. Any help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can make your job a lot easier by placing one of the vertices at the origin. So say P=0. Now you can take R and Q to be linearly independent and just equate coefficients of R and Q.
  4. Mar 27, 2007 #3
    ok thanks, does it matter which point i use? not only for this question but others like it?
  5. Mar 27, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, clearly it can't matter. Try it two different ways if you are having doubts.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?